Questions & Rumors: Should Pros Be Allowed To Wear Shoes Outside Of Their Sponsor?

Crime again childhood memories or crime against personal comfort? You decide.

Ahh here we are, adults obsessing over what a person wears on their feet. We’re no different than the Supreme fuck bois or Hypebeasts and this solidifies it.

If you’re out of the loop, newly shoe-sponsorless pro Erik Ellington innocently posted a photo of himself & friends trying to hang out and failed to do so because Andrew Reynolds was spotted wearing Adidas Ultra Boosts on his feet. As we’re sure many of you saw, it set ablaze the comment section with many celebrating the occasion with money bag emoji’s and the appropriated “get that money, BOSS” comment that comes with it. Others were devastated and couldn’t believe their eyes; “No, Boss, please don’t do it” was one of many comments that alluded to a rumor that’s been circulating since early 2017 stating that Andrew Reynolds was jumping ship from Emerica to Adidas.

For those who can’t understand the significance of this potential move, it’s either because you’ve been living under a rock or you’ve been smart enough to not stress yourself out over what a person wears on their feet. Good for you. For those of us who do care, it’s because Andrew Reynolds is quite literally the Boss – of both skateboarding and of Emerica (figuratively speaking (No, he doesn’t actually own Emerica, please stop emailing us with this question all the time)).

While we’re completely neutral about his future footwear employer, this raised a much larger question:
Can a pro who is paid to skate in skate footwear be held responsible for walking/relaxing/going grocery shopping in other brand’s footwear?

It’s a situation that hasn’t been openly discussed & may be as earth-shattering to the skate community as the time Tony Hawk endorsed Bagel Bites.

Here are both sides of the coin:

At 39 years old, Andrew Reynolds feet hurt. A lot. He’s a true pioneer of big stair skateboarding. When you really come to think of it, it’s truly a miracle that the man still has the capability to walk correctly, let alone upright. If anyone has the right to wear comfortable shoes, it’s him.

On the other hand, his endorsee, Emerica, has helped shaped/been much a part of his identity in skateboarding. Were it not for their support, he may not be the legendary skateboarder we know today. The very least he could do is wear their shoes, no?

Comments

1. Matt90

January 30, 2018 5:41pm

What shoes they wear actually none of our business. I think it depends on their contract between rider and the sponsor.

2. AG

January 30, 2018 5:59pm

Let em wear the shoes. No skate shoes from competitors, but casual wear and runners should be fine. NBA players sponsored by nike can wear Gucci sneakers off court, it should be the same.

3. TomC

January 30, 2018 6:48pm

If its contractually obliged, then Boss sold his soles and should do what hes paid to…

4. Robert Nicholson

January 30, 2018 6:50pm

I mean I have no problem with this, Emerica doesn’t make a life style shoe anymore. It’s been a couple years now at lest. Skate shoes for every day life just don’t cut it when you’re 40. Plus it’s Reynolds he’s a pretty loyal guy. I would like to think he’ll stay with Emerica.

5. antibolfgoy

January 30, 2018 10:10pm

always thought this was a weird situation, i remember seeing antuwan dixon back when he was on supra but his trunk was full of nike sb

6. tae

January 31, 2018 1:15am

Erik Ellington without a shoe sponsor again?

7. Tim

January 31, 2018 3:15am

If they cant wear comfortable shoes/trainers from another company then we cant hate when a skateshoe company makes said shoe example lakai

8. Matt

January 31, 2018 1:10pm

Lol I’m pretty sure seeing a 40 year old wear skate shoes casually when he’s not skating would be more blasphemous. That was when we were like 12 in 7th grade like YO LOOK AT MY SHOES…YEA I SKATE 😂😂

9. Andrew

January 31, 2018 8:12pm

Ellington, Herman, and Reynolds starting a shoe co. Take my money kind sirs.

10. Steve Hill

February 2, 2018 3:52am

I would be shocked if Sole tech didn’t address this kind of thing in Reynolds’s contract. Say for a moment they did and Andrew was breaching his contract. That would give Sole Tech the right to end the contract immediately. However, they would be foolish to do so simply because they probably don’t have anyone selling as many shoes as Reynolds does. (Maybe Sheckler). That basically means Reynolds can do whatever he wants.

11. C

February 2, 2018 6:18pm

RIP soletech.

12. tomisrad

February 8, 2018 4:16pm

Until Emerica makes a super comfy chill shoe everyone wants to wear like Adidas, do your thing boss. I saw the Boss wearing Koston’s a few times back in the day, and I thought he was switching to e’S. Turns out he just wanted to skate the shoes like everyone else, and I am sure Pierre didn’t care. Andrew will skate in Sole Tech hopefully forever. I remember seeing M.J. in an old Transworld video wearing Nikes and he was on Etnies (’95-’96?)at the time. Thought it was weird but he wasn’t skating and lord knows I rock Clark’s and Asics. I mean today I am wearing Vans fairlane 50th anniversary, but I don’t wear my skate shoes when I am not skating.

• George

February 9, 2018 6:01pm

I remember seeing some photos from 2011 and it looked like the boss was wearing accels.

13. Chris G

February 9, 2018 6:38pm

I guess he’ll will be forced to wear Etnies E-lites or pay a hefty fine for chilling

14. Seth K

April 9, 2018 11:06pm

this is The Boss, thus the boss can do w/e he wants. Dude is a legend no need to hate. He has done just as much for Emerica as Emerica has done for him