Skate Shoes That Left Too Soon: Adidas Lucas Pro

Adidas-Lucas-Pro-Overview

No one knows better than us that no shoe is safe from a premature departure; however, we won’t try to hide the tears that were shed when Adidas shelved the Skater of the Decade Thus Far’s first pro model- the Lucas Pro.

As the name implies, the Lucas Pro was ostensibly the perfect cupsole for anyone looking to make the transition from the boardfeel of a vulc to the padding and support of a cupsole. The combination of an extremely thin sole under the toe and an almost perfect grip pattern actually gave the Lucas Pro more boardfeel than the average vulc. All while the Adidas Sprintskin, mesh tongue, and foam midsole made it one of, if not “the”, lightest cupsole of the time.

It’s still unclear what caused the greatness of the Lucas Pro to fail on the books. It certainly can’t be due to the lack of beautiful skateboarding performed in them.

Unfortunately, for cupsole fans, neither of the Lucas Pro’s replacements, the Stan Smith Vulc or the Lucas ADV captured the originality and function of the original (i.e. the Stan Smith Vulc was/is a clunky vulc and the added bulk and stiffness of the Lucas ADV undermined everything that made the Lucas Pro so great).

Here’s hoping the new Lucas shoe proves to be on par with Le King of Ledges. Sneak peek of that coming sooner than later.

Comments

1. Txomingurrio

April 4, 2016 6:10pm

I had one pair and they’re with no doubt one of my favorite shoes I’ve ever skated. Light, great boardfeel and more durable than I thought they would be.
    Please Adidas, Bring em’ back.

2. Mike C

April 4, 2016 11:02pm

You guys got word of a new Lucas shoe?!?!

3. Mike C

April 5, 2016 2:28am

oh thank god, I missed out on the Lucas but I owe one of my favorites

4. tomisrad

April 5, 2016 2:47am

Is the second shoe any good? The first shoe is one of my favorites, I have a fresh boxed pair of black with white soles that i am keeping fresh. Some of the best skate shoes ever

5. Leo Smacker

April 5, 2016 4:45pm

The only adidas skateboarding shoe I hated. I tried my best to like it, but I ended up leaving them at the skate park for a kid to have. When it was laced to the top hole it was constricting and uncomfortable, and when it was laced up to the second-to-last hole it was too loose. There was no middle ground.

Without a doubt one of the worst shoes I’ve ever owned.

6. Donatas

April 6, 2016 9:09am

There is going to be new Lucas shoe inspired by volleyball. Kind of thin outsole and overall slim silhouette. It releases in 2016 august.

7. Oliver

April 7, 2016 11:10am

This shoe definitely left too soon!

8. G

April 25, 2016 12:31am

I loved the original Lucas. I think shops didn’t like the toe cap. Which is funny because rubber toe caps are all the rage now. Wrong timing I suppose.
    It’s weird that you don’t like the Lucas ADV though. It’s basically the same shoe without the toecap and the sprintskin on the outside. It’s even the same tooling/outsole! I didn’t find them to be any bulkier or stiffer. The only problem I had with them is that there is an internal seam that rubs right on my pinkie toe. Too painful to wear. Which is sad.

9. Raff

August 9, 2016 9:15pm

You guys need to track down a pair of the shoes these were based off. They were a racquetball shoe, made for a guy called Marty Hogan. I’m not positive but I think in certain circles (football fans) they are still one of the most sought after. I got lucky and scored a pair for not much a month or so ago cos the person selling them didn’t know what they were and had listed them on ebay using the wrong name…

10. tomisrad

January 5, 2018 4:20pm

This shoe is still tops. I have one pair on ice still and recently started wearing the cliche 15 year anniversary, which I will box up again because, cliche is gone too! The 2nd edition and thrid arent nearly as rad and well fitting as these. I am going to wait a few more years, then bust em out to skate. I will report back then! See if the EVA sole holds up!