My Shoe Mashups – Lunar Chowen

frank

It’s fair to say that every skateboarder has had that thought of creating their perfect skate shoe – one that has all of their favorite elements from every great skate shoe combined into one. We never like to leave a thought unturned and have started pursuing of what some of these imaginary skate shoes would look like.

As a result, we bring to you our new column: My Shoe Mashups.

The lines of design within Skateboarding can feel so limited sometimes, so we’re glad to throw these creations in the air and just imagine “what if?”, for absolutely no reason other than just being immense fans of skate footwear.

My-Shoe-Lunar-Chowen

Created By Trevor Groen

When pressed to create my ultimate skate shoe, I had 5 features in mind that I wanted to make sure were implemented into my design – comfort, durability, impact protection, grip, and aesthetic.

Thinking of upper durability first, I decided to use the upper from the Vans Chima Pro. They’re one of my favorite skate shoes to date because of their Duracap covered toe, padded tongue, and slim aesthetic. It’s an overall great shoe, but there is one feature that I had a problem with and that is impact protection. Sure, the Chima Pro’s UltraCush Lite footbed helps to reduce some of the impact that a skater receives when skating, but not nearly as much as the Nike Lunar Janoski.

With cushioning and support in mind, I wanted to use the outsole on the Lunar Janoski. It’s perfect in terms of flexibility, impact protection, arch support, and grip, but a big problem with this shoe is its ability to wear out quickly around the ollie area. By combining these two models, you get a shoe that is nearly perfect. This is where the Lakai Owen rubber toe and stitching comes into play.

By adding these two features, this shoe not only becomes more durable around the kickflip area, but receives extra style with the stitching. These last two features tie everything together for these three shoes to coexist seamlessly. This shoe has everything that the modern skater needs: extreme durability, superb impact protection, quality grip, high comfort, and style.

What 3 skate shoes would you like to combine into 1?

Comments

1. Moon

March 21, 2016 4:45pm

rubber toe cap from the Kenny 1 from adio, upper from the Emerica MJ1 and the classic cons outsole with lunarlon
    Boom!

2. Manos

March 21, 2016 4:51pm

superstar adv outsole and insole. oldskool 92 pro upper (suede only) and the inside of the suciu’s adv or the OG busenitz pro. really miss the inner ankle puffy ”pillows” that they used to have on their shoes. RIP campus vulc… you will be missed. that fucking outsole. damn.

3. Nick

March 23, 2016 1:42pm

The toe cap from the Etnies Marna, The upper ( and size) of the Es Accel OG and the sole of the Suciu ADV.

4. Nick

March 23, 2016 1:42pm

5. Jordan

March 25, 2016 1:45am

Adidas Busenitz’s for the flick. Globe Chet Thomas CT-IV for the sole. Supra Avex’s for the tongue/midshoe

6. Gabe Shadoff

March 25, 2016 3:31pm

I believe that your design could be improved with the etnies marana xt toecap on it for a better grip and durability and also the Nike SB oneshot linar sole because just that little difference goes so far

As for my design id definitely cloose either:
    Emerica Reynolds 1 sole and toebox/toecap, éS Tom Penny 2 heel and upper, and the tongue of the Nike air max 90 (2015 “infrared” reissue).
    Or
    Nike SB prod7 sole, dvs nica one piece toe with the rubber reinforcement on the inside of the shoe, and lakai Griffen xlk middle and heel area

7. Tony hinds

March 27, 2016 2:02pm

The sheep merino sole, the mj1 upper, and the accel toebox

8. Chris

March 28, 2016 11:26pm

Crockett Pro, classic cons outsoles with Lunarlon, tongue & ankle support of the (1st) Cole lite for the fit… But I’d need to throw in some side mesh from, say the Rowley Lite to beat the Houston heat [oops that was four]

9. Eduardo Koy

April 23, 2016 4:51pm

Emerica Herman G-Code upper, Lakai Griffin outsole and Etnies Marana Vulc toecap

10. Pablo

April 23, 2016 5:00pm

Silas Pro II upper Emerica Reynolds 3 Outsole dc wes kremer print screen toe protection

• Pablo

April 23, 2016 5:03pm

Actually Silas pro II upper busenitz pro Outsole and Wes kremer dura print stuff for the toe