Suciu’s Pro Model Feels Like An Early Era-2000 Shoe

Every aspect of the Adidas Suciu Pro Model.

Every aspect of the Adidas Suciu Pro Model.

In regards to our title, we mean that in the best possible way.

If anyone has been more deserving of a shoe with their name on it, it’s been the energizer bunny of skateboarding: Mark Suciu. While he’s been relatively quiet in recent times, in comparison to his former part-after-part self, we can only imagine that he has something big stirring up for the release of his Adidas pro model.

The Suciu’s, despite their modern look, really do remind us of an early 2000’s skate shoe. For one, if you’ve tried on any early 2000 shoe and then try on the Suciu’s, there’s some similarities that you can not deny. One of those similarities are their protective boardfeel. The Suciu’s thick Adiprene + insole is largely responsible for that early-2000’s jargon that we’re talking about. This insole is so thick that some might feel off when trying to break-in their pair simply due to their thickness. It isn’t anything to disregard but we wouldn’t be so quick to pass on the Suciu’s because of it. As with early 2000 skate shoes, you had to break them in over a period of time in order to earn/gain that beloved boardfeel. As a result, you’ll have more protection during the initial period of skating them and it’ll only get better with time.

The energy that you receive back from this Adiprene insole is as close as we'll get to an Adidas-backed airbag skate shoe.

The energy that you receive back from this Adiprene + insole is as close as we’ll get to an Adidas-backed airbag skate shoe.

This insole is made up of a mixture of EVA foam and a rubber fusion. Aside from giving a full rebound back from any and every impact, the insole itself feels so comfortable that you’ll probably find yourself in the Suciu’s post skate session. Let’s just hope that its thickness doesn’t gain praise for chilling in more than skating in (doubtful).

The other reminder of their early era-2000’s similarities is the nicely heighten and rounded toe. While we’ve only put in the initial hours of our review, we can say that this larger toe is reminiscent of the days where you didn’t need to flick as hard in order to get your board to flip. As with any shoe, it’ll take some adjusting with your skating in order to get used to it but other than that, the shoe’s perform great.

The padding surrounding the heel counter, along with the overall construction of the shoe, locks in your foot better than most shoes on the market today. The gusseted tongue only adds to that lock-in feeling with the Suciu’s. The outsole has groove lines in all the right places that allows this cupsole to flex like a vulcanized shoe, without feeling like one though. Really interesting design tbh. More on the well-deserved Suciu pro model in the coming weeks. We’re just putting them through our rigorous process of heelflips and kickflips. 🙂

What do you guys think about the design? It’s not the most unorthodox design, but then again with all the rubber toe caps in the market, the Suciu’s would actually stick out at any skate shop.

Comments

1. shotformeat

July 20, 2015 8:43am

Early 2000’s feeling shoe, exactly what I’ve always been looking for <3 now the only question is whether to get them in brown or black? Or both…

(the NB 533 Stratford is the only other shoe I've found that comes close to that sort of era)

2. Willie

July 20, 2015 3:57pm

Do these have a midsole to speak of or are they like the CTSs and Kostons: thick insole directly on top of rubber outsole?

• Ripped Laces

July 20, 2015 4:02pm

Exactly that brotha. No midsole and just a super supportive insole. It’s honestly one of the best insoles we’ve felt in a long time.

3. Bender

July 20, 2015 4:53pm

Are these made of suede?

4. mike

July 20, 2015 5:31pm

look like Adidas’ take on a Koston2 with a fancier insole

• jshnrz

July 22, 2015 2:04am

you got that right!

but id give this one a shot.. will wait for the 20 hr punishment to see how this shoe goes 😀

5. Cory Mansour

July 21, 2015 12:28pm

Wow, I am actually really excited about these. I have been stuck on the Etnies Marana’s for forever and now that that shoe is slowly fading (finally) I may just have to try a pair. Super into the whole aesthetic of early 2000’s skate shoes so I’m hyped 🙂

6. chip van slam

July 22, 2015 1:02am

Still missing those insoles on the Nike E-Cues/URLs…

But best insoles I’ve come across lately have been Adidas ZX8000 Boosts-the Boost is the insole, not part of the mid. Like walking on a damn pillow. Wish their skateboarding line could take more advantage of Boost.

7. Fordham

July 22, 2015 1:13am

Is there a specific date to when these are being released?

8. Jamie

July 23, 2015 3:27pm

When are these being released?

9. Kenny Bania

July 23, 2015 7:09pm

Should I go a half size smaller if I want to use other insoles? I use Footprint insoles not for impact protection, but for arch support, which aren’t as thick as the adiprene +

10. heelfliperic

July 29, 2015 6:23am

Lol wtf these are literally busenitz with a little panel rearangement.

11. Sam

July 30, 2015 5:59am

Saw him skating these a while back at the adidas demo in southbank. Almost thought they were the Busentiz 2’s. Heard from the adidas rep there that those are supposed to be coming out soon

12. Brian

August 25, 2015 4:04pm

I’ve had these shoes since the first day they dropped. Overall I really like these shoes and the insole. First off, I like my flatground tricks. My go to is varial heelflips which normally shreds the side of my shoe. This is especially annoying for Adidas because I usually destroy the stripes within the first couple of days. Unlike the busenitz, the stripes on these are thin which I thought would be wiped out quickly but surprisingly none of my stripes have been wiped out yet in the month I’ve had these. Also, I have no tears in my shoe which is weird because I usually put a hole into any pair (even the reynolds cupsoles) near the toe within the first few weeks of skating. The shoes skated great out of the box and little time was needed to feel like they were fully broken in. Secondly, the insole is really comfortable. I was skeptic when I first saw the ADIprene insole. I like my FP gamechangers a lot and have been skating those for the last year so I was hesitant to change. The sole keeps my foot in place and I’ve yet to get a heel bruise. One odd thing about these shoes is the ankle cuff. It looks like your heel will slip because the padding is mostly near the heel and lower ankle. That being said, I’ve had no heel slips. However, there are drawbacks to this shoe. Most notably, it would be difficult to skate this shoe without the included insole. The shoe is very deep and when I experimented with putting in my FP gamechangers my foot would slip and made the shoe more like a Mid shoe like the reynolds. It was not comfortable, nor could I skate in them with those insoles. The last con is the colorway. I bought the Mesa colorway because it was the only available color in my size. I dig the color aesthetically, it goes with my look but it was quick to get dirty even from doing a couple kickflips. To wrap up, the shoe is great for durability and to skate, but get the black colorway if you don’t want to have dirty-looking shoes.