FYI, They’re Not The Same: OG éS Accel VS New éS Accel

Same shoe, different fit.

Same shoe, same company, different fit.

While most of you might be celebrating the return of skateboarding’s most beloved shoe, there is something you must know: they’re not the same as they used to be. Depending on your preferences, this is either terrible news or magnificent. You tell us.

Over the years, the inner ramblings of skateboard nerds and message boards alike have spoken about the éS Accel and its ever-changing fit. This murmuring is only to be tolerated if your love for the shoe is that extreme- but who are we kidding, its the fucking Accel we’re talking about here, of course you care. For those of you who don’t like your fit changed, your vamped raised or any alterations of any kind, this might come as some terrible news to you: the recent re-release of the OG Accel’s might not be what you remembered.

After receiving a pair of 2014 reissued Accel’s, we immediately grew curious as to how they matched up to their previous version. Now, we don’t have the original pair from 1995-96, after all we review shoes, not save em…but there’s always an exception. Once we heard the internal word that éS was shutting down in 2011, we quickly scurried to our local skate shop to grab any remaining pairs of our beloved shoe. Now fast forward to present day, and you’ll find us scurrying through our closet as we stumble to find the aforementioned OG Accel’s.

After trying on the newly refinished éS Accel of 2014, in comparison to pre-hiatus éS Accel’s, we found out the following:

OG éS Accel New éS Accel
Wider toe Narrow yet longer toe
Larger tongue & collar Tapered collar & tongue
Accommodating fit More narrow than we remember
Softer toe Harder underlying layer on the toe
Relaxed fit Tighten fit makes us prone to go half size up

Now, realistically, like any extraordinary recipe, it’ll never stay the same. Whether it be the rooted resources that change/die OR if its a progressive change that adds value to that missing element of the recipe, nothing’s ever the same. It’s just the unfortunate truth, especially when you take into consideration all of the years that have passed since its inception. Fortunately, some of these new changes that we found in the new 2014 éS Accel actually might work in the brand’s and consumer’s favor.

As much as it is our beloved shoe of the past, its clear that these alterations have been done to appeal to a consumer that has never seen an Accel before. We’re talking about the Janoski-generation of kids here. And truth be told, there’s nothing wrong with that. If we had to guess, this era’s Accel could potentially feel like the éS Accel that we know and love after a few intensive skate sessions to break-em in.

Follow the fit guide above and see which option suites you best. Is this change for better or worse?

Comments

1. Mauricio Devia

September 11, 2014 2:58am

Fuck I cant wait to see these shoes in Chile is so fucking hard to find shoes like that u.u , Please ripped laces do me a favor and send me stickers or a pair of és I don´t know haha , greetings from Valparaiso Chile!

2. daddy long legs

September 11, 2014 5:29am

The last generation of Accel I tried before the hiatus was around 2010. It lacked tongue centering straps which made the shoe extremely uncomfortable when the laces ripped as my heel would slip out of the worn out padded collar. I moved to the square two which was my first vulc shoe with a one piece toe cap and that led me to Janoskis and dunks until es came back. I made sure the OG Accels had the centering straps before I bought 3 pairs.

3. sroljo

September 11, 2014 6:59am

These new Accels are closer to proper Accels from old days.
    Accels that you labeled OG in the picture (from 2011) are not proper Accels that we all loved and skated.
    Accels from 2010 to the hiatus were not so good. Back then company was already struggling.
    They lacked tongue centering straps and they had very weird fit and they run little bit smallish.
    Pre-2010 Accel models had completely same fit as these brand new OG Accels.
    I have Accel models that date pre 2009/2010, couple that date post 2009/2010 and now these new OG Accels. If you loved Accels back in the day you are going to love new OG Accels.
    If you only skated version from 2010 or 2011 give these new OG Accels a try and you will be amazed on how much better build quality is and how better they feel.

• Ian

March 3, 2015 9:39pm

Yes! These are as identical to the originals (that everyone really loved) as you can get. The 2000’s versions were bricks, or unsupported unshaped slippers, or super slim, etc. Varying fits made it ridiculous to “just find a pair of Accels” to skate in. These are as close as you can get to ’94. Try them on though, you may have to get 1/2 size down. Now waiting for e’s 23’s and SLB’s done to the same measure. Maybe Kostons too?

4. piri

September 11, 2014 12:41pm

Not too sure I agree with you, at least based on the Japanese drop from last year. I’ve been running a few pairs ever since, and they strike me as pretty much as before. They look, feel and skate identically, at least to the 10 odd pairs I had skated back in the day. Which is a good thing and a bad thing, they grip nice and skate sweet for the first while, maybe 5-10 skates, but the heel collapses pretty quick and they get really floppy, kinda like slippers. A bit more rigidity or structural integrity wouldn’t go amiss. They also pretty bulky compared to most these days, not overwhelmingly so, but for young bucks that have only known light vulcs, they’ll wonder what the fuss is about. So a slimmed down version would probably be a good move, alongside the classic. As for the fit, it seems to be bang on, although for some reason it’s slightly different between the red and the gum colourways. I have a wider foot-I literally cannot fit the Accelerates, at least without going up a size or 2-and it’s nice in a world where the slim fit has taken over, to find shoes that fit so well. I grabbed a pair of the new Lynxs and they were only just tolerable, as compared to the perfection of the old ones.
    The “Accel inspired” range are a total failclassic, they look gross and fit my wide feet terribly., but they could fix it but reissueing all the accel variations, the lite version and Velcro strap included, but especially the leather ones as they were a bit more rigid, one of my only gripes with the shoes. Wonder if the SLBs will come back too?

Sidenote: What’s with the whole slimmed down, skinny design trends in skate shoes, it wasn’t so long ago that the sb and adidas skate versions were the wider ones-have skaters feet changed shape? It was bad enough murdering my feet with vulcs, now I have to go a size up, and skate with way more toe room than I’d like.

5. manos

September 11, 2014 1:01pm

hey guys,i dont totally agree. small changes do excist but i dont know how ,the fit is true size to me, and the shoe is extremely comfortable. the break in i must say only needs 1 or 2 days walking them when you go out and its perfect. i dont have the og accels now to compare them fairly but im still super stoked and will defenitely will buy them again.it would be great if you do a review for the new accelerate , the accent and the new accels.

6. Oliver

September 12, 2014 8:10pm

I bought my first pair of Accels in ’01 and they were great even though I was used to absolutely massive shoes at that point, especially by today’s standards! They changed them in 03 to suit how people were wearing them back then, ie with bigger trousers. The tongues were about twice as big as before so I never bought them again as I was looking for even slimmer shoes. These new versions seem to hark back a little to the original Accels but not much.

7. dino

September 13, 2014 8:35am

8. Jimbo

September 13, 2014 9:46pm

Waited a while before I took the plunge and got a pair of these new Accels – first impressions were that they seem much bulkier in the toe area than I remember, and that they’re extremely comfortable, not something I’d ever thought about them back in the day, but then that’s probably more a reflection on the current crop of skinny vulcanised foot murdering plimpsoles. Had one tentative roll around in them so far, still feel a bit clownishly big so in two minds whether they’ll actually become my skate shoes or remain as chillers, but for now they make excellent ‘walking around in’ shoes. Agree with Piri that these suit a wide foot very well, and yes, Es if you’re reading this, the SLB’s next please!

9. Tyler Dombrowski

September 13, 2014 10:25pm

Alright, I have 3 pairs of these bad boys, and I had older Accels from 2006, 2009 and 2010. The biggest difference in my opinion is that the harder toe of the new Accels actually helps flip tricks more, the new insoles have superior bounce-back, and although they may be slightly narrower before break-in than the Accels of 2006, they fit the foot better and after break in they achieve the classic Accel “shit man, forgot I had these on they are so soft and comfy!” feeling that has us all looking for whatever excuse we can find to cop a new pair haha. Also, thankfully they are still wider than most shoes on the market today. The increased support with classic tread/ boardfeel… I didn’t realize how much I missed it until I spun a perfect varial heelflip, some frontside 180 heels … Never before would I have thought I was capable of such things! These new Accels are absolutely the best of what modern skateboarding shoes have to offer. They are freaking indestructible, ladies still love them brown Accels, and you’ll never be able to Ollie through a pair. What we have here gentleman, is the best damn skate shoe Earth can make for $65, we got the mutha*#% Accel, son! Any questions folks?!

10. Tyler Dombrowski

September 13, 2014 10:26pm

Forgot to add, only thing I liked more about the Accels from 2006 was the 3 inch thick tongue. Damn that was comfy! #newaccelsforlife #don’tcomplainwhenyougetwhatyouaskfor

11. 146,5

March 27, 2015 3:28pm

the article is confusing – the black shoe stands on the OG box and is later described as the “new es accel” ;//

after all – the 2009 Accel was the ultimate shoe for me, ever – now i see a “2014 es accel OG” available online – so does the OG mean the original shape or the OG doesnt mean anything and if it’s 2014 then it IS different..

sure i can order and then send it back, but i dont want to make unnecessary mess 😉

• tyler Dombrowski

April 2, 2015 10:38pm

It’s not as narrow as some folks may make it seem. If anything, it feels just a little more snug through heel to ball of the foot, making for excellent support. It helps when you have an awkward landing on the side of your foot

12. Chris G

November 18, 2015 5:17pm

The accel is a great shoe! Also brings back memories. I like all the accel variations ascetics and I’m sure they skate great. I just can’t back a company that dropped their riders and came back after a ‘hiatus’ without a official team we know of? It still bums me out.

13. mike

July 3, 2016 7:01am

Can someone clear this up…the brown shoes in the pictures say “Accell” and the black one says “Accell OG”. So which one is the “New es Accell” in the description?

14. will

July 18, 2016 12:08am

The Sal 20’s are really snug, I had them a shitload of times since 1996 and they aren’t the same! Ahh I ordered them, one pair left in my size and it hurts to wear them. Either way its cool to just look at them. I’m thinking of going of accel, wish the did the 20 og also. Either way I love es and there impact on real skating, fuck Nike ballerinas shoes.

15. Dave

December 15, 2016 7:16pm

The accel of is definitely different from the accel. I used to skate accels exclusively and I’m so glad to have the OG available today. I always liked a larger profile shoe with the puffy tongue, and these days its hard to find something like that which will stand up and withstand some abuse. The og is a god send and I think its better than it ever was. All I will be buying is the og until it is no more (god forbid) or until my body becomes to worn down to skate. For those of you who prefer slim shoes (which I suppose is a lot of folks these days sense slim shoes is nearly the only thing you can find in your local skateshops) I recommend the accel slim. Either way you go, the design is flawless and unmatched, and es uses the best materials. You can’t go wrong. But personally I like the og.