Questions and Rumors: Fila To Enter Skateboarding

Fila.Decks

Fila Skate Decks for a potential Fila Skateboarding Team?

It’s been a week since Troy Morgan, President of Kayo Corp, published a photo of numerous Fila brand decks on his personal Instagram account. Again, this was a week ago and aside from the 229 likes its received, no one in the skate world has seemed to care (probably because no one does). With the exception of regular forum banter, its been a relatively quiet subject matter. Also, forgive us for bringing this newest skate gossip to your attention so late. The reason behind that happens to be because we actually reached out to Kayo in hopes of an answer (it’s rare that we actually do any kind of reporting. Someone pat us on the back or another rewarding gesture) but surprisingly, they didn’t seem to know much about this development between Troy and Fila.

Who knows what this could be…
Theory A: These decks could be for something as mundane as “Fila’s Annual Sports Summit” and they’re involving skateboarding this year? (it’s unfortunate how real that summit sounds)

Or…

Theory B: This could be the very first installment of a long-winded campaign into skateboarding- meaning: putting on an array of beloved and respected Pro’s without formally stating that they’re in skateboarding a la Puma. This approach seems to be famous among big brands. Another example of this uber obvious tactic is the Reebok X Palace collaboration that just happen out of the blue.

If Theory B comes to fruition, could you see yourself trying to skate in some Fila Skateboarding Shoes or are you content with the major brands that are already directing the current tide in skate footwear today? Will the mentality of “Well, if it skates good & it’s cheap, I’m down to try it out” apply to you?

Comments

1. ALUMNI

March 10, 2014 5:42pm

Fila? fuck it. lets do it!!!!

im tryin to get my hands on one of those decks right now! holla!

2. GuiriKnows!

March 10, 2014 7:49pm

for sure if its cheap, i’ll try it!

3. ben

March 10, 2014 8:21pm

i’m down with those first two comments. i grew up playing sports in the 90’s. i don’t care if fila, And 1, or any other company makes its way into skateboarding. more than likely they may fail and that’s there problem, not yours. and if does thrive somewhat, don’t be mad because they aren’t rocking the 4th leo shoe from emerica in 3 years. look at instagrams popular page. refresh that and 8 out of 10 times skateboarding will be on there. skateboarding is already to that point. fuck politics, i say if it’s on sale half price on ccs and that’s what you can afford (or that’s exactly the product you want) and your local shop doesn’t carry what you’re looking for, fuck it. don’t buy something you don’t want because someone else doesn’t like that idea. or at least go to another “local” shop in the tri-state area that you back and support them if they’ve got it.

4. Tyler Dombrowski

March 10, 2014 11:59pm

I maintain that I will buy my boards from Almost because that UBER Light has made fakie varial flips super easy, and skates like butter! Hopefully the FILA boards are good enough to help fledgling skaters get inspired to skate more, because we’ve all had Wal-Mart boards and 99% of them suck so hard you break a sweat on your third Ollie and kickflips never spin quite right. That being said, I can’t honestly say I’ll respect a pro on FILA like I would a pro on Baker. Sure, they will probably be better than me haha but being a bone-headed skater I’d be embarrassed on one. It’s not for me but I hope it inspires some broke ass kid to be the next Bobby Worrest!

5. HawtDawg

March 11, 2014 12:10am

Well, if its cheap, has good grip, and if they don’t put a GIANT FUCKIN “F” on the side, why the hell not?

6. Lurp

March 11, 2014 4:07am

“Reebok and Palace out of the blue”

While this may have been a bit unexpected I wouldn’t say it was out of the blue. RBK owned by Adidas, who is a major player in skateboarding and RBK had tried to get things rolling in skateboarding with DGK in 2004.

This isn’t Reebok’s first attempt at coming up in skateboarding and certainly isn’t Adidas’s.

• ALUMNI

March 13, 2014 4:19pm

ding ding ding ding!!!!

• t.a

March 13, 2014 5:40pm

That and Reebok has a long history in the soccer world. And so do the Brits behind Palace. This is a little sloppy, because there are multiple interviews out there regarding the collaboration. They also did a collaboration with Umbro… a soccer brand!

7. Freeze

March 11, 2014 1:56pm

• ben

March 12, 2014 11:57pm

dang. i didn’t expect to see that kind of thing. i think that’s more for the people that reeaally can’t afford a decent shoe, so whatever, out of sight out of mind. but if they do make their classic models applied to skating (which i was/am expecting) that’ll be cool in my book. and if the decks are a pricepoint kayo wood, then that’s alright as well.

8. hotcarl

March 11, 2014 8:04pm

How about…
    Theory C: Quit speculating and gossiping like a bunch of little school girls about shit you know nothing about.

9. rob

March 11, 2014 11:05pm

well i lot my job two months ago and the money is shor,t sure i want to skate, an dwhats important is i have my skateboard under my feet, all the brands are corporations big or small and the gear could be more cheap but they just dont want that…

10. Dae

March 12, 2014 3:51pm

Personall I have always thought that the Fila F-13 would make a pretty sick skate shoe, specifically the high top model. This IS kinda weird though.. Thinking they will go ‘a la Puma’ for the foreseeable future IS they do anything.

11. since 1999

March 12, 2014 9:39pm

12. Jordan Sigmund

March 14, 2014 7:35pm

This is bot surprising with Reebok at all. Prior to the DGK collab does anyone still remember Ice Cream skate shoes with a TK model? Ice Cream were managed under Reebok the same exactly shoe to regular Reebok’s.

13. Trevor

March 16, 2014 1:28pm

Why the fuck does Fila think they have any place in skateboarding?

• Tyler Dombrowski

March 16, 2014 9:13pm

I agree with you 90%. While I hope cheap shit like this helps some kid without a lot of money get into it, a poor quality complete board is roughly $60- and you could just mow a few extra lawns and skip Taco Bell runs until you get $~100 to get a legit board. I doubt those FILA boards are any good. Like learning guitar, you’ll be more interested if you have a fancy Paul Reed Smith opposed to the hundred dollar Strat special. For Skaters By Skaters- haha call that FS/BS and make it the skaters equivalent to FUBU xD

14. Ricky

June 22, 2014 4:55pm

I’d rather see FILA skateboards and a FILA skate-shoe than a NIKE one any day. Will FILA now stand for FILMERS IN L.A.?

15. BS

October 15, 2014 5:01pm

Remember that Fila x Supreme collab years ago?

16. Adam

October 15, 2014 7:41pm

Im down! I actually think Fila would be welcomed into skateboarding! Why the fuck not? And in response to Skater’s reply, i dont know how you think skateboarding isnt a sport you fucking penarse!

17. Rusydie

October 16, 2014 10:46am

Even if all the shoe companies got narrowed down to just Lakai or Emerica, for example (not being specifically selective here), I’d be good. Most companies nowadays make enough variations of shoe-builds that you really wouldn’t have to look far – not to mention the associated price range. For example – DC Toniks are a streamline and affordable model and on the other end of the scale you have the techier, bulkier and subsequently more ex Miller/centrics. So, no. I’d try a friend’s if he buys it but I wouldnt necessarily support any more incoming brands – unless they truly are skater-owned, managed, and designed.