Questions & Rumors: What Will éS Footwear Be In 2014?

Our friend and MYM inductee, Rick Marmolijo is designing the éS models you'll be skating shortly.

Our friend and MYM inductee, Rick Marmolijo is designing the éS models you’ll be skating shortly.

As a continuation of our last Q&R, this update is one for all of us, not just Japan. You could argue that the success and anticipation from Japan’s consumers have made this return possible in the US and Europe. Are we forever in debt to Japan? Should we send them a bunch of Best Buy cards? What’s America’s answer to sushi? We owe them a bunch of cronuts or something…oh wait, a french guy invented it in NYC. Does that make it ours? Let’s digress.

Many of you are anticipating a full comeback from éS that will include a full team roster, old reissues and some debut models but the more we checked our sources, we found that this misconception was just that. As of right now, the rumors circulating are that there will be 3 models to debut on 2/14/2014 (..how romantic). More so, we’re disappointed to know that the OG Accel isn’t coming back as of right now (cancel that shipment of cronuts to Japan) but we’ve been reassured that a model will have the name “Accel” on it. Does this mean we’ll be seeing an updated version of the classic? If so, will they disappoint most of us the same way DC did with their Lynx S?

With word of these 3 models, we’ve read that there will be 1 runner-inspired model, a cupsole and your standard vulcanized option. We have no idea as to what they’ll look like at the moment and truth be told, we can’t even begin to anticipate what they’ll be working off of. Will éS use their catalog of history to win back the market? Or is their new tactic to come up with modernized models of what worked best for them? Lastly, if the rumors are true of a team-less éS, we can only imagine the challenges ahead. After all, how could a kid who has no familiarity with éS know to trust them and their product if their favorite pro isn’t landing all the “on trend” tricks in them? If they need a directory of pro’s without shoe sponsors, they can just go off of this. Will the longing and dedication of their fanbase save éS from going under again or have the claws of big name brands sunk in so deep that their consumers are forever turned off? To say the least, there is some real telenovela shit going on in skateboarding right now and all we can do is sit back and wait.

In the meantime, you can expect a cliche list of “Top 10 shoes éS should modernize for 2014″ to be hitting the site soon. Chime in below and maybe you’ll see your pick on there.

30 thoughts on Questions & Rumors: What Will éS Footwear Be In 2014?

1. I would be really happy if they some how picked up TX back on to the line up.

• Yung Crack on said:

I’m sure TX is pretty comfortable with those Adidas trips and paycheck, plus the shoes are the best out right now.

2. Nick on said:

Sounds like they already fucked up. ANother runner inspired skate shoe? Fucking great. The Accel, Square one, and the Sal23, those are the only shoes eS needs to have in the line….PERIOD. Don Brown I’m talking to you!

3. HATE! on said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing an updated SLB along with a streamlined Accel and a Sal 23 for the sake of nostalgia.

4. Jason on said:

eS One’s (the Koston looking ones) and a Chad Muska remake (the ones from like ’98 that had the stash pocket), they had the rubber toe and that’s killin it now.

5. madafaca nigga on said:

Eldridge 1.5 pls

6. Chris G on said:

Should’ve stayed away longer to be more of a sentimental comeback. Emerica is doing fine. Why not throw the Accel to them. They cut their team and are coming back too soon. Distasteful

• SC on said:

Yeah, just what I was thinking. They cut all their riders, leave for a few years (while still selling in Japan?), and decide to make a “comeback” Haha wow. And let’s not forget that it’s the same company that supports two other shoe brands…

7. Danny Gamaliel on said:

I started designing some reissues of éS shoes, I would like to share with you.

• Ripped Laces on said:

Send over those designs, we’ve loved to see em – info [at] ripped laces [dot] com

8. Stephen Buckrop on said:

I really hope they bring back the Square 2. I would cry and cry.

• Tyler on said:

Remake the first bloods, call them second bloods.

9. T.A. on said:

Sal23.
    SLB. A hightop.
    The Creagers.
    I liked the Eos, too, but I know it didn’t last very long and it might get lost in the shuffle were it released today.
    And the Kellen James. Seriously, that shoe needs to show up somewhere.

10. Jordan Sigmund on said:

I really think the eS Worrest were a good shoe. I still have a new pair in a box lying around. The DTTF insoles inside of the shoes were the best, you could jump of anything with them. And I am still using the same insoles for my G6′s.

11. Ian on said:

SLB, Koston 1-5, Accel, Burnquist 2, McCrank 1, and Creager. Make them, cause they all rule.

12. radit on said:

glad to hear it. welcome back éS! bring back the good old days!

13. joe barto on said:

Cessna

14. joe barto on said:

as well as the never released Kellen James shoe

15. C on said:

P.A.S. if u read this please STOP clowning us. Sole Tech already have one foot on the grave. I loved Es so much i dont want it to resurect ! Fuck u trendy bastards.

16. Friendofsound on said:

I’d love to see the Accel Plus, Ecosse and an updated version of Penny’s first shoe. It would also be awesome to see Ronnie Creager back on.

17. Dave on said:

Anyone know anything about the design/production rights to pro model shoes – who holds the licence to produce a shoe, does the skater who designed (in part or in full) it have to give the all clear for it to be produced? The re-release of the Emerica Marc Johnson in ’99 is an example of a pro who’d left. Jamie Thomas re-released (sort of) his original Emerica design with Fallen. Koston the same with Lakai.

With everyone calling for classics above to be re-released (my vote is for the SLB 98s), maybe it’s not as simple as just getting the factories to pump them out again? Design and production rights to the shoes need to be given back the eS again?

18. jeans on said:

While I’d like to see éS back as much as anyone, I definitely find it distasteful that they fired everyone then magically come back barely two years later. Makes me wonder if it was really necessary to shut down in the first place, if it will get any more support from Sole Tech this time around, or if it was all just a ploy to clear the payroll and build hype. Would like to see brands and team members not treated so disposably.

19. Luis on said:

i think jimmy mcdonald is wearing es in the the clip from 5boro “5boro goes east”

• Ripped Laces on said:

Jimmy was using his left over stock of eS/5Boro collabo shoe. He’s always seen rocking HUF now.

20. Oliver on said:

I would like to see some properly thought out reworked old models, everyone said the Creager was a great shoe to skate in; felt broken in from new, super comfy and it looked awesome. A modern version would probably work with current shoe trends as well. Maybe try a fused toe cap and remove the air bubble?

Many people liked the Koston 2′s as well, I know they released a very similar shoe towards the end of es which I heard good things about but they should try to give it a proper go this time.

Also, the Accel. They ruined that shoe completely, I think they changed the design in ’02 and it was never the same; all odd shapes and huge tongues. Just release the old one.

They could even have a really half arsed go at making a team and people would still be feelin it if you ask me, maybe try Montoya, Creager and Smolik?! That would create quite the twitterstorm!

21. vegas on said:

SLB
    clarion
    creager
    arto
    koston 1/2/3
    quattro
    TXL
    burnquist 1/2
    la brea
    ethalon
    maxim

22. Alex K. on said:

I don’t know why but the first person I thought of to recruit for a new roster was Tom Asta. Then Manny Santiago and Dave Bachinsky.

23. Chris Wong on said:

- Koston 2
    - SLB
    - Muska
    - Kellen James pro model
    - Ellipse (more colorways)

24. The kids will know they are good because you guys will test them for sure – you are kind of univesal skate team :) I sure will enjoy Accel with Evolution foam/G6 midsole, marana toecap, cold air intake and for the most: VELCO STRAP just like Accel Plus used to have! I was little bummed from the first three models – the expectations were really(!!!!) high, but now I started to slowly like them :)

25. Cait on said:

They must put Rick McCrank, John Rattray, Bobby Worrest, Jimmy McDonald and Justin Eldridge on their team again.