Leaked: Nike Skateboarding’s P-Rod 8

Nike PROD 8

Nike Skateboarding’s 8th Paul Rodriguez pro model. How many of you are interested and which of you can do without it?

The internet is such an unescapable vortex, which is exactly the reason why this section of the site exists. As we’ve put it in the past, hosting something up on the internet is like peeing in a pool, it only spreads. After doing our regularly scheduled checks on the SLAP message boards (who knew it’d still be useful, even after the 14-16 yr old takeover), it looks as though someone couldn’t wait to post the new P-Rod 8 for all of us to see.

Immediately, from what we’ve surveyed/observed, most are in disgust with it. That’s actually not a bad thing. For those who were in a constant state of denial about the return of tech footwear, you’ll be reminded of how mistaken you were once you see these on every teen, in every skate store and/or mall. These were reminders too but let’s be honest, they weren’t as complex as this P-Rod 8. Others are giving it a fair chance and want to see other colorways before completely dismissing it and that’s alright.

To add insult to injury, these shoes will apparently cost $130, making it one of the most expensive skate shoes of all-time. Not number 1 though, that honor goes to Supra and their $150 shoe. We might have to update this list eventually. Are skateboarders prepared for this price hike? Truth be told, we’re having trouble even seeing local skate shops carry this expensive model without struggling with it for a while. Does Nike and P-Rod’s image have that much pull to successfully market and sell a $130 shoe or will shop owners carry the much too common burden of having these hosted in their sale section? Only time will tell. Expect these P-Rod’s to drop on Go Skateboarding Day (June 21st).

Here’s the lesser tech version of the P-Rod 8. They’re called the P-Rod CTD. Might make more sense for some but we still can’t see them being any more affordable than its counterpart.

Comments

1. noileum

January 20, 2014 1:32pm

Well I have to say that I’m not hating them straight away. Plus there’s definitely a marked for tech’d out skate shoes which can be worn to skate & chill in.

People have to remember that not everyone wears dickies and vans, and that some people want to look ‘fresh’ while they skate and this shoe is aimed squarely at them (at least in this colourway)

I do like the sound of them not selling well, and then going on sale pretty early as in all honesty that’s about the only way I’m going to buy a pair

2. Thomas

January 20, 2014 3:01pm

Looks like the designers just pulled a sketch of some old Savier design out of the drawer and said “So we’ll gut the padding and lets put some Lunarlon on it and call it a day.”

I like it, but I don’t $130.00 like it.

3. Tommy G

January 20, 2014 4:10pm

I’m not very impressed with these. They may look functional but they don’t look like skate shoes that are wearable with anything ranging from pipeline jeans to even sweatpants. I would love to see P-Rod actually rocking these and then I might buy them if they are even an affordable price. $130 is out of my price range.

4. Arvid

January 20, 2014 4:21pm

This does not make sense. Nike don’t even need their socalled SB line anymore, this looks like a shoe any swagfag would wear! I’ll stick to my Emerica’s

5. Angelo Estrera

January 20, 2014 4:43pm

Its glad to see skateshoes improve so much,but its a pain knowing the price increased aswell ,in my opinion ,130 dollars is not worth it for 1 skate shoe ,Id rather buy 2 skateshoes ( given that its 65 dollars each pair) I can live with one skateshoes for a long time (I could stretch my skateshoes to 8 months if Id shoegoo them before I skate) .And prod8 doesnt seem to match with skinny/lose/semi-fit or baggy pants, and for me ,being presentable is a must because I dont wanna look like funny . so I think I have to say I dont like prods new shoes.

6. Derek

January 20, 2014 4:45pm

I thought the P-Rod 7s were going to point the line in the right direction, but these are just plain ugly. Gonna stock up on P-Rod 7s before these things roll in.

7. Marcus

January 20, 2014 4:47pm

I really hope the design is completely different and better. these make me puke

8. Chris

January 20, 2014 6:04pm

Trying to comment without hating, Nike always take chances with prods because they are forced to sell to shops or you can’t get the janoskis. The mark down version I’m down for, the $130 would just for review purposes (& possibly comfort)

• F

January 20, 2014 6:35pm

Nike is forced to sell to shops? That’s a new one.

• Scotty

January 21, 2014 6:46am

Dear “F”,

I believe he is referring to the fact that P-Rods are forced onto shops to be sold in order for the shops to also be able to carry Janoskis. Nike requires a pretty full representation of their entire shoe line for a shop to carry them… so even if P-Rods dont sell well (they don’t), and a shop knows that skaters in their area prefer Janoskis to any other shoe tenfold, they cant just stock up on the shoes that actually sell in the store, It’s complete BS on Nike’s part.

• James

January 21, 2014 4:41pm

its not just prods, almost all nikes, and i also believe you have to have a specific amount of colorways aswell, not just the black/white ones even thought thats probably all a shop needs

9. Nate S

January 20, 2014 7:34pm

Definetely gonna cop a pair and try em out!

• Nate S

January 20, 2014 7:55pm

But then again the price tag of 130 is really ridicolous,nikesb forgets that not all skaters can afford that price.

10. Sam

January 20, 2014 9:39pm

Looking more and more like running shoes everyday. Won’t be long before we can’t tell the difference.

11. Stephen

January 20, 2014 10:09pm

Damn PRods just keep getting uglier

12. SC

January 21, 2014 3:22am

This is an absolute no! OMG nastiest looking SB ever

13. M-Rod

January 21, 2014 8:10pm

I think $130 is too expensive!

14. Scotty

January 21, 2014 10:22pm

Two positives…

1) The plastic or rubber eyelet slits look like an interesting notion

2) Nicely executed no-sew TPU rubber toecap

… and that’s about it.

15. francisco

January 22, 2014 3:18am

I think Nike is forgetin about prods skate shoes line. They are making shoes to just wear, not to skate. Its like the Jordans, they are.cool and theres a lot of different models and colorways, but.they are not used just to Basketball anymore. Prods 4, 5 and 6 are really goods to skate on: durability, boardfeel, impact. Even the 7’s are goods too, but I think they are trying to catch people out.of skateboarding, like you say, every teenager, or.wathever. I mean, if you ask for skate shoes they give you prods provably, but in a couple years youll prefre habíamos, or any others. Idon know, thats what I think. I dont like these shoes, this are not skate shoes, and the price is.too much. Emerica is the future of skate shoes, really high quality.

16. Alexander

January 22, 2014 9:49am

You say that $ 130 is a lot. And how do you then that in Russia Nike Janoski cost about $130 for 4 years, and this Prod 8 will cost $ 200, it is officially set price.

17. Anderson

January 22, 2014 8:18pm

This shoe looks too much like a Nike Hyperdunk 2013, a Nike Kobe 4, a Nike Kobe 7, and a Nike Kobe 8 all rolled into 1. They even had to mess it up with that horrendous plastic flywire crap, making it look very cheap and artificial in the process. And can’t they get rid of those ribbings in the lunarlon sole area? What good are those for anyway?

The other shoe, the less tech one, has hints of a Lebron 10 low. It definitely looks way better and more organic than the piece of trash above but it just feels cheap with the flywire thing going on.

P-Rod’s new shoes are obviously basketball-inspired; but man, did he look for inspiration in all the wrong places. And yeah, this ain’t tech; this is a mess.

18. Mordecai Bluejay

February 25, 2014 8:53pm

Don’t do it.

19. Eric

May 29, 2014 12:03am

UGHHHH these are mad ugly, My favorites are the PRod 7s, hope they still make them. probably only going to buy these when they’re on sale under $80