Should Chillers Chill…?

scout-black

The Etnies Scout is comfy & cheap. Btw, we mean that in the nicest way. It won’t break your bank & will take care of your feet.

On the leisure end of skateboarding footwear, only few brands have been successful in offering an array of models to strictly relax in. As skateboarders, it’s probably harder for us to have a nice pair of shoes compared to any other human being on this planet. In fact, we’re sure that there are people in third world countries that look far more respectable & well groomed than we do most of the time. It’s literally in our nature to skate & destroy everything we buy/wear. Boards, shoes, wheels, flesh, etc…

For this reason, it’s a little hard to believe that this offering of relaxing shoes from skate brands can coexist with a generation of kids who only know how to rip up their latest purchase from the shoe wall. Obviously, these shoes won’t be marketed towards a younger demo considering that they don’t know the meaning of being sore but even so, does this latest contribution to skateboarding footwear hurt it or progress it? Do we need a line of relaxing skate shoes when what we’re wearing is perfectly fine or should we pack an extra pair of relaxing shoes into our trunk for the post skate session antics? It’s a strange question. Really, it depends on the individual. Lately, we’ve been doing the latter. After a solid 3-6 hour skate session, we’ve been wearing the Etnies Scout afterwards & we’re not gonna lie, it’s comfortable as all hell. In fact, it’s so comfortable, that we’ve been finding ourselves wearing these shoes more than our regular skate shoes on a day-to-day basis. Clearly, based on our own actions, this answered whether this is good for skateboarder’s or not. As some insight, don’t even think of running or exercising in the Scout, it’s strictly for chilling.

Coming this Sp14, the Rest and Recovery collection from Nike.

Coming this Sp14, the Rest and Recovery collection from Nike. -Image via N-SB

Comfort aside, what about pricing? The current selling price for the Etnies Scout is at a reasonable $60, whereas Nike’s recent debut of their Rest & Recovery collection will be costing consumers a more expensive $100-125 price range. It’s clear that you’ll be paying a higher price for certain features but what’s the reality for a kid with only $80 to his name….is he going to save up a bit more for some proper chill shoes or go with his beloved Busenitz & wear those as his skate shoes & chillers? As we stated before, this debate as to whether these lifestyle shoes can be unified into skateboarding footwear can go on for days. Most brands have tried their hardest at breaking through to skateboarders with their line of relaxing shoes & it’s unfortunate to say, but most of the time they fail. Sad to say that both this shoe & this shoe only lasted for a season. They definitely had potential.

Will the same be true for both Nike & Etnies? Why does Nike even need a line of skateboarding chillers anyway? Is the AirMax too out of touch for us or has the Janoski become so integrated into skateboarder’s DNA that we need that same labeling on each & every pair of shoes that we own? If that’s the case, something tells us that Janoski loafer isn’t too far from existence. If this actually happens, someone owes us a Coke.

Comments

1. vlagtr

October 29, 2013 12:20pm

No P. Rod Air Max? That doesn’t look good for him. Don’t care for Nike but I do love the team. I wonder if they might be thinking about cutting him loose in the future.

2. eS Accel Forever

October 29, 2013 12:47pm

I think chillers are sort of pointless. When your young you can’t afford the shoes, and even so when I was young I wore my skate shoes all the time. With that being said it was like a badge of honor to have your shoes ripped up, missing laces, and have holes in them. It also was a great way to identify who skated at school or various other outings. Now for the older dudes like myself I could see why you would want these but there are various other shoes that are way comfier. For example, I have a few pairs of jordans, sb dunks, and a pair of air max which do just fine as chillers when I go out and don’t wanna look like a bum. Also, the dunks are skate shoes that I chill in, so why don’t I just buy skate shoes and not skate them. I don’t see the point in buying a shoe I can’t skate from a skate shoe company. The only way I would buy a chiller from a skate shoe company would be if the shoe looks really aesthetically pleasing.

3. Tanner WIKA

October 29, 2013 7:18pm

I think that Nike is making these “Skate Chillers” to make some more money off of the skateboarding community… Kids who skate don’t want to buy shoes that aren’t associated with skateboarding… Running shoes, especially Nikes, have no relation In skateboarding. So how can Nike try to sell more shoes to skateboarders?… Why not try slap some skateboarding names, and SB logos on some running shoes, and say they are meant specifically for skateboarders? It’s all about those Benjamins……

4. Sasquatch Jones

October 29, 2013 9:02pm

Nike is just trying to market to the Zumiez mall kid crowd now.

5. Ethan

October 30, 2013 2:49am

Pretty bummed on this.
    For some reason, I’m totally cool with the idea of skate companies doing it.
    I have a sample pair of the Lakai ‘chill’ shoes, and they’re pretty great. But Nike is turning their skate line into a line that looks like everything else. What makes it even worse, for me, is that they actually pretty good, and I would be psyched on them as a sneaker guy.
    This is a part of skateboarding that I fight with myself on:
    Skateboarding should be treated equal, like every other sport // skateboarding is completely different than every other sport, and that’s why I love it.
    Sometimes it’s difficult to realize that we can’t get the respect that athletes get without getting a particular logo slapped on our shoes.

Whatever,
    I say good for Nike, I guess.
    People that love Nike will love this movement, and will probably buy some, and Koston will be able to buy more iPhones to post more pictures of him giving all of his fans the finger.
    Hopefully, this will further separate the two ends of the spectrum.
    ‘Core’ skate people will look at that Janoski Max and think, “That is fucking stupid.” and that will push them to consider the new Westgate shoe as a chiller, or the Etnies shoe up top, or something like that. This might create the need for companies to revamp their movement to offer chiller shoes.
    I mean, sorry Fallen, but were you guys even trying?
    Without putting Supra on too high of a pedestal, at least their trainer shoe translates well across different styles. It’s just a good looking shoe, and ‘core’ brands are more than capable of creating something more relevant to skateboarding than a Koston Max, but that will still be a crazy comfortable and great looking shoe.

As much shit as Nike gets, they are always a part of the conversation when it comes to skateboarding shoes, and that makes them a part of this culture of skateboarding.
    Like it or not, Flywire is now a part of skateboarding.
    Motherfucker.

6. Ethan

October 30, 2013 3:35am

I don’t expect anyone to care, but I had a revelation as to why I don’t like that Nike did this, but am okay with Lakai, Fallen, Etnies, etc. doing it:

I just bought Brian Anderson’s shoe, this past week. Part of the reason was because the Blue/Grey/Orange colorway is on point, and I’m an OKC Thunder fan.
    The other part was because I wanted a shoe to wear as a sneaker, but I wanted it to actually be a ‘skate shoe’ (The new Westgate’s colorways just weren’t doing it for me. Sorry, reps.)
    I wanted to know that the shoe I was wearing for ‘chilling’ could be the same shoe that I work on my 360 flips with.
    Somehow, having a sneaker that was designed for skating, made it more… my own. It was something that had more meaning behind it than what I was using it for. It was a part of a culture I was rooted in, but didn’t look that way to outsiders.
    Like some kind of fuckin’ inside joke on my feet or some shit.

This thing with Nike lets those outsiders come even further into our house.

With the Janoski it was like, “Sure, the baseball jocks are wearing Janoskis. Whatever. They can probably at least understand somewhere that what they’re wearing is made for skateboarding. It has a purpose that they’re not exploiting.” They’re using them the wrong way, but in my head, there was a subconscious level of them understanding that they were the outsiders dipping into skateboarding culture. We were letting them.
    This movement is another small way of the jocks being able to control our culture.
    These shoes aren’t made for skateboarding.
    Not at all.
    Can’t do it, man.
    Bad idea.
    And with a Nike logo, they look like every other shoe every other sort of athlete is wearing.
    Which is annoying, because is they ever decide to remove the names from these shoes, they won’t be any different from the other shoes you see in Champs or Footlocker.
    Nike is taking the one of the few things I could appreciate about their skateboarding line, and taking it one step too far.
    That one little speck of their footwear that when I wore a pair of SB’s I could say, “That’s why this is relevant to me” is even further away.

At first glance I saw the BA R&R’s and thought, “I should have waited to get those”. But then I remembered that knowing if got sick of just wearing the BA’s that I have just to wear, that I could hop on my board and go skate a spot was the whole fucking point of me buying them.

Dear VLAGTR,
    They already did/are doing chiller shoes with PROD. That’s what they LunarRods are. They’re kind of good looking, too…

7. William

October 30, 2013 12:53pm

Go to bargain shoe store. Buy some thick, foam soled running shoes (cheap). Now you have “chillers”.

8. Leaky

October 30, 2013 7:45pm

NIKE SB’s doing what Nike has done for decades with their performance product. Internally this is called “distorting hero models”. This is what NSW (Nike Sportswear) does as a business unit. NIKE SB is the only division at NIKE that “amplifies” itself. NSW has footwear in its lineup that comes from futbol, basketball and running. This venture into sportswear (the R&R collection) is not the first time NIKE SB has done this. The velcro Janoski and all of the unskateable dunks also fall into this. This is a sign of changes within NIKE SB. Ultimately, NIKE SB will roll up under NSW. NIKE SB is the smallest business unit in terms of revenue. Have to feed the beast.

9. sroljo

October 31, 2013 8:19am

These were amazing as chillers shoes and they came from company that were 100% skateboarding. Amazing, light, comfortable, looked good IMHO.

Unfortunately, not so many people bought them.

10. Keith

November 20, 2013 7:05pm

On my 2nd pair of Ellipses. Super comfy. All the sneakers in my stash are skateable.

11. ALUMNI

December 9, 2013 11:40pm

i have a phrase that i think fits here…”mainline transition”.

it only makes sense, and by ‘sense’ i mean ‘money’, for Nike to run those silhouettes onto a “runner” sole.
    without getting into some long winded rant here, ill just say Nikes marketing assassins know exactly what they are doing & what they are doing is taking your money and building underground bunkers and space ships.
    ill say this much though, ill be rockin a pair of those damn “after skate” shoes tough…sweats rolled up like Welsh and all that shit. i mean, fuck it…i drink, i smoke, i eat garbage food…ill be long gone before any of this shit matters anyway.

*imagine what it wouldve been like if Koston, Janoski, Malto, Nugs, both Andersons, Busenitz, Salis and the rest of the hired guns DIDNT ride for Nike/Cons/Adidas/ NB etc….actually dont bother…you might blow a gasket. go back to playin skate 3 dude.

12. SC

December 13, 2013 2:17am

Instead of making these shoes, why wouldn’t Nike just start a marketing campaign for the chill shoes they already have in stores? Like the Roshe Run or Free Run, those are running shoes that are super comfortable, and perfect for post-session sore feet. This is what makes me think they’re marketing these “R&R” shoes to the younger generation, because it’s only younger kids who will fall for the gimmick, paying 120$ for these non-functional SBs, when you can buy 70$ roshes (if you just neeeeed a Nike product).

13. TS

January 12, 2014 8:12pm

They are just trying to make more money off of you. They think “hmmm, what if we could get skater kids to buy shoes that they don’t skate in? What if we could SELL them the idea that they need shoes to chill in, or rest and recover in. We’ll make more money off them!” LAME AS FUCK.