Questions and Rumors: éS returns out of hiatus?

The official press release for éS return...in Japan.

The official press release for éS return…in Japan.

It’s a fair statement to believe that everyone is collectively shitting their pants.
éS is back! YEEEAAAHHHHHH!

Well, kinda…

Normally, it’s in our nature to jump the gun. In fact, we really don’t mind it….remember? Even though it’s never phased us before to skip actual journalism guidelines, we’ve decided to try out these so-called rules in order to inform you guys with the actual facts.

As much as we’d enjoy to see éS come back & ultimately compete in the rigorous battlegrounds that is skateboarding footwear, it’s not happening (at least not in the US or Europe). After speaking to a number of sources & one member of Sole Tech, we found out that éS is only coming back in Japan through their Japanese distribution. In cased you missed that, this means that it’s ONLY going to be available in Japan. Even though it’s Holiday ’13 resurgence wasn’t going to go unnoticed by the SLAP forum community, some would argue that this “comeback” could serve as a precursor towards their efforts going forward. If this move in Japan proves to be lucrative, could this mean that we’ll see éS sooner than later in the US? This is a good question with a potentially better answer but we’re not telling you to hold your breath either. Here’s why: It’s not uncommon for any industry to test their product overseas before bringing it to the US.

This image is from the Interstyle Summer 2013 tradeshow in Japan.

This image is from the Interstyle Summer 2013 tradeshow in Japan.

Not only is Japan a good testing ground for Sole Tech & éS but it could bring some revenue that’ll help fund éS early upstart in the US. It’s been said that Japanese skate culture is still stuck in the 90′s/early-2000′s. Oh, how we envy them. In fact, some Japanese teenager is probably watching Photosynthesis right now but then again, who can blame him.

Also, put any premonitions of potentially seeing other popular éS models to rest. The Accel is going to be the only model out for Holiday’13 in Japan. Will their market respond to this limited run of skateboarding’s most beloved shoe? Or is éS time up? Do skater’s really want puffy shoes on their feet when the latest technology offers a sleek, simple & protective solution? We have no idea of the price a Japanese skater is willing to pay for a pair of skate shoes but these éS Accels will be sold for ¥9,240, which roughly equates to $93. Just thought we’d throw that out there for any US skaters looking to buy Accels all the waaayyyy from Japan. It’s definitely going to cost you over $120-150 with shipping. Anybody wanna move to Japan with us? They seem to have it a whole lot better than us. More photos here.

To reiterate, éS will only be available in Japan. Kinda like these guys. Don’t call it a comeback, yet.

10 thoughts on Questions and Rumors: éS returns out of hiatus?

1. Moon on said:

I need brown accels right now…

2. sroljo on said:

I don’t see why SoleTech doesn’t have Accels in their catalog all the time or at least every other season. Runs don’t have to be too big, just enough to make them profitable. It’s a classic skate shoe and there is always demand for such shoe no matter what is trendy at the moment.

• tick32 on said:

What you’re failing to realize is exactly how bulky the original Accel shoe is, especially compared to the slimmed down silhouette’s of today. The style and design is outdated and the only reason it’s releasing in Japan is because the they wanted the original bulkiness of 90′s skate shoes which wouldn’t sell for shit in America. Everyone is so excited to hear rumors about the brand coming back but no one is talking about the reason the brand went away in the first place, NO ONE WAS BUYING THEM!

• Robby on said:

Accel TT’s are not half as bulky though. Really hoping that they bring the TT’s back!

3. T.A. on said:

I, for one, am very excited about the possibilities of this. While I mourned the loss of eS at the time, I do think they shafted themselves to a degree. Letting Koston go was just one of many nails in the coffin. At the time of their demise (which really wasn’t that long ago, mind you), their team was built around skaters that weren’t necessarily pumping out coverage: Danny Garcia (stepped back to make music), Justin Eldridge (still coasting on Hot Chocolate), Rick McCrank (does what he does in Canada), etc.
    They had a quality team (Rattray, Raemers, Terpening, Manderson, TX), but for whatever reason they weren’t able to compete in the market competitively.
    While I am not 100% behind HUF, I think they have taken up the torch somewhat in eS’ absence.
    My hope is that this launch makes eS stronger than ever, and that the skateboard community puts their money where their mouths are. Otherwise, if Japan is the place that appreciates eS for what it is, than they deserve it more than America.

4. Classy C. on said:

I really hope the Accels get reintroduced to the US market. IMO its the best skate shoe of all time and I have owned over 30 pairs. When I heard that eS was going out of business I went online and bought as many pairs of Accels as I could afford (I think like 6 or 7 pairs). I thought it was bad, years ago, when they discontinued the brown colorway, so when the whole company folded I was devastated. Hopefully, even if the re-launch doesn’t eventually include the US market, I will still be able to buy my shoes online from Japan. And in case they go out of business again I will dip into my savings and buy 50 pairs which should be enough to last me until I’m too old and brittle to do flip tricks. Ahh just thinking about the beautiful cloud-like comfort cushioning my feet makes me happy. The suede giving me the perfect amount of grab on the griptape to control my flicks perfectly. The incredible amount of board feel for the amount of padding is insane. The classic, simple, no nonsense design is timeless and always looks great.
    To the commenter above who says that this shoe is outdated does have somewhat of a realistic viewpoint, but in my opinion classics never die. Almost all skate shoes these days look exactly the same, and they are based on the look of the old school Vans with, like, no padding whatsoever. That style at one point was “outdated” and now its all the rage. I was informed of the eS possible comeback by a dude at the skatepark (he saw me wearing my last pair of ripped up Accels) and him as well as a couple young kids were like “oh! where did you get those shoes?” It seems to me like people are looking back for more cushion and comfort and hopefully the skate industry figures it out. Accels rule and nothing will ever replace them. The only somewhat comparable shoes I’ve had were the Koston 1s and the Sal 23s which should be brought back as well.

5. Persona on said:

I want a pair of all of those.

6. tyler d on said:

The accel was heavily used and skated by my good friend mike and I. That guly went through every pair of shoes he owned in two weeks, but the. Accels lasted three months! Incredible grip, phenominal boardfeel and ultimate cushioning, on top of supreme comfort and durability. Es only asked for 60 bucks, very cheap for boutique quality. Can’t stand the lame ass janoskis and other thin shoes. Accels were built for hardcore, relentless skateboarding unlike almost every other shoe out. Today. They represent not only ultimate quality but also serve tp remind me of my first years skating, seven hours a day and screaming with joy when I managed a kickflip, mowing lawns to get these kicks. If i go to heaven they better have accels! The original accelerate was dope too!

7. thebuttholetickler on said:

i hear that they are going to make the accel slightly thinner to match the ” fashion wave ” of today. who knows, maybe down scaling the size could be good, but nevertheless, accels kick ass

8. Mathias on said:

I’m really sad tonight.
    I’ve been wearing és accel for the last 15 years.

I live in Sweden and I quit skateboarding about 7-8 years ago, cause of my back and knees.
    This is the best shoe ever, I love it!
    I had no idea és was down! totally shock tonight! looking for a store to order my new pair!

Is there anywhere to buy like 10 pairs or so? :)

regards from Sweden