Osiris D3’s are Still Alive & Well

osiris-d3The Osiris D3 has many accolades. From being called the #1 best selling skate shoe of all-time to the worst looking skate shoe of all-time, the results vary depending on who’s looking at them. As if there weren’t already enough embarrassing moments we have to reflect on as skateboarders, the added injury to insult is the fact that the D3 was undoubtedly on your feet. Well, for those who are interested, you can now relived all of those regrettable moments you had when wearing them, all over again.

The place that we praise more than any other region in Europe has just lost some major points in our bracket of outstanding places to visit. From what we’ve heard about Italy, the food is impeccable, the atmosphere – addictive, & in the mist of that, you’ll now see random ravers & dads unwilling to let go of their youth, wearing D3’s. A large sports/skateboarding outlet in Italy recently started pushing this shameful shoe & to their avail, consumers are responding. Think of it as their version of Hot Topic, except not only can they sell decks & other related core-skateboarding items, but also Air Force Ones, Jordans & anything else you can think of when combining Hot Topic & Foot Action together. Crazy. If anything, this serves as even more reason to praise Japan. They got it right & Italy needs to lay off the wine for a bit if they’re willing to wear D3’s again.

Cross promotion between a Corey Duffel Osiris ad & a pair of D3’s. Perfect.

One of the best segments to ever come from the Skateboarder Mag (RIP), let alone any magazine, was the “15 Things” section. If you’re unfamiliar with it, it was a column that was normally found in the back of the mag & was treated as the cherry on top. It was a quintessential section for any skate-nerd looking to soak up some absurd & sometimes useless facts. Nonetheless, the column covered all categories, including some “behind the scenes” facts about the industry, your favorite pros & even shoes. Full list here. As fact no.15, here’s the back story behind the most successfully disturbing shoe that most of us regrettably bought:

“The heads at Osiris will think twice the next time they contemplate discontinuing a sleepy seller. When Dave Mayhew wanted large lace loops for his third pro model, the folks at Osiris were less than optimistic about the samples. The D3 was very technical, bulky and the lace loops made it look awkward. It sold decently the first year, but sales began to dwindle. Six years later something inexplicable happened. “We were just about to pull the shoe from the line,” owner Tony Magnusson remembers, “when it took off like a friggin’ rocket.” The updated D3 2001 is rumored by many accounts to be the best selling pro-model skate shoe of all time.”

We’ll miss the Skateboarder Mag, simply because it would’ve gone as far as doing the Versus section between the D3 & Janoski (even though that section was dedicated to pros vs pros on trivia). There, we would’ve accurately found out if the Janoski sales have surpassed the D3 as the no.1 selling skate shoe of all time. We’re sure that it has but some confirmation & numbers can’t hurt.

Comments

1. Nathan

September 26, 2013 1:48pm

Nice article ! You should make a drawing contest on the internet about “what an Osiris D3 would look like today ? Be creative !”. Winner could win a fresh pair of D3’s 😉
    (Apologize for my English I am French)

2. BEN

September 30, 2013 7:06pm

“The Skateboarder Mag?” Yikes, dudes, someone needs to edit this post, bad.

3. robinlacey

November 9, 2013 11:17am

They were the best skate shoe around But im a fan of the chunkier shoes osiris have bought out the g3l’s which slightly resemble the d3 which are nice but would def like to see my fav old trainer back in the shops.

4. Heath

November 30, 2013 9:40pm

The skateboarder mag

5. jesse velazquez

December 1, 2013 4:03pm

I know where you can buy them there’s this website called TGM skateboards the Osiris d3’s are $95 or $75 depending on the color.

6. Lili

December 13, 2013 7:56pm

I am looking for D3 5.5 or 6. I can find more.please

7. luca

January 14, 2014 6:24pm

hallo
    i don t , so i imagine this is not a webstore….
    but…

I LOVE THIS SHOES
    I love these shoes but I can not find them 🙁 ;-(((((((( ;-(((

if you (for any reason…or of r case or lucky)

i can pay as much until 250 $
    for the same model in the photo(green with some blue)
    size 11 us

AH..
    I WAS FORGETTING

SORRY FOR MY VERY BAD LANGUAGE
    I HOPE YOU HAVE UNDERSTOOD

9. Anthony. S

January 22, 2014 8:39pm

The only way they’re going ti bring these back is,
    1. Is if they ask Dave Mayhew to use his name again, and give him a percentage of the revenue from the sales of the shoe.
    2. Is if they can find a following again in new age of kids who basically know vulcanized shoes, not classics like these. Weather you liked them or hated them for skating, you have to admit they sure were damn durable and lasted.
    3.Is start a petition to Osiris to bring them back, because most people have talked about one, but never started one. Because, the worst move qas dropping this shoe from the line. Maybe one day they’ll realize what could of been still one the best sellung shoes still.

10. Martin Castaneda

January 25, 2014 2:41am

I would love to get my hands on the white/red original d3’s not the 2001’s. anyone know where i could make that happen?

11. Ryan

August 18, 2014 1:03am

Where can I get a pair of these?

12. Eddie

September 27, 2015 11:18pm

You’re an idiot these shoes look cool were comfortable as hell and the feel and shock absorbtion when ur skating them better than any other shoe on the market back than and I have a pair being shipped to me I won’t say where

13. herrie

April 23, 2016 1:34pm

i have them in size us 12 CHARCOAL/BLACK/ORANGE

14. Eloise

July 7, 2016 6:17am

Anyone intrested in a red and black pair, size 6 email me! Eloiseheyting@icloud.com

15. Billy

August 3, 2016 8:48am

16. tae

November 3, 2016 6:39pm

Man i had these before, i remember wearing them for the first time after taking them out of the box. I was looking at my feet and I was like, wtf do i look like an astronaut wearing moon boots???

It was comfortable, heavy. Most of the components are glued together, wont really last that long.