Questions & Rumors: Dick’s Sporting Goods, new Nike Skateboarding dealer?

Nike_Dicks

The Nike SB Display at a local Dick’s Sporting Goods. Here, you’ll find Janoski’s, PROD 7′s & Kostons.

Some disturbing, but not so shocking, news has been passed along from our friends from the West Coast. The photos featured are of Nike Skateboarding product being sold inside a Dick’s Sporting Goods in California. As we stated, it’s no more shocking than it is disturbing.

To some skateboarders, this will not be as big of a deal simply because you’re not a skate shop owner. You’re just a skateboarder, innocently skating shoes, probably Janoski’s, because they skate well. The fact of the matter is, where skate shops grew the popularity of the Janoski, PRods, Kostons and so forth, these large chain stores are reaping the benefits. Skate shop owners already had their concerns with Nike pressing to enter into mall shops, such as Zumiez, Foot Action, etc. We’ve learned that skate shops would be able to stick with the exclusivity of the elusive Nike Dunk but as we’ve come to learn, it was simply a ploy to show some type of fair ground between shop owners and chains. Skate shops became reliant on the overwhelming wealth that all Nike skateboarding pro models were bringing in & overnight, lost those same models to most mall stores you can think of. Nike remains one of the top sellers for most skate shops and honestly, helps keep their doors open. Reneging on their exclusivity rights infringes on the overall health of local skate shops and as a result many shops have had to close their doors. It’s because of this trade off of Pro models for the exclusivity of Dunks that you can expect your local skate shop to be going through some troubling times (if they aren’t already).

Now that we learned that Nike Skateboarding goods have been found inside one Dick’s Sporting Goods, it’s going to be hard to believe what Nike will say in order to defend this senseless act. It’s not as though it’ll just be available in just this one Dick’s – that would be ridiculous. Why would Nike just invest enough thought into that? It’s our guess that they’ll be found nation-wide in little to no time if this trial run goes well.

NIke_Dicks1

This Nike display has all of the latest footwear & apparel that your local skate shop would have, if it weren’t for the fact that they can’t sell it anymore.

Could this have been the precursor that caused Active Mail Order to drop Nike from all of their chain stores? Oh and yes, that’s happened. Although it hasn’t been publicly announced yet, we’re sure you’ve noticed if you’ve visited an Active store in the last couple of days. So where does this leave you?

As we’ve always stated, you vote with your dollar. Are you willing to cash your vote in at a Dicks or at your local skate shop? Are you willing to sacrifice your skate shop for the convenience of the mall? We’ll find out soon enough…

43 thoughts on Questions & Rumors: Dick’s Sporting Goods, new Nike Skateboarding dealer?

1. Terrance on said:

Fuck Nike sb i’d rather buy Fallens,DC,Converse,Axion,Ipath,Adidas anything but nike sb i used to only get nike sb then i found that nike SB is nothing but money/Fame whore there not a true skateboard shoe company to me anymore like i still respect all there pro’s i just don’t like nike sb and what they turned into

• PE on said:

JD, FYI Nike also own Converse… we should just all support privately owned brand such as Soletech (Etnies, Emerica, Altamont, Thirty Two) or Lakai or many others and leave the big corpo such as VF (Vans, Timeberland, The North Face, etc.) or DC (Quiksilver, Cleveland Golf, etc.) alone.

• Pike Dreamz on said:

Terrance- Nike owns Converse.

• JLS on said:

Quiksilver/DC doesn’t own Cleveland Golf anymore. Quik is only playing in surf, skate, and snow at this point; however, their distribution strategy is questionable. From what I’ve heard they are trying to clean that up.

• G.F. on said:

Actually Quicksilver doesnt got rid of their skate program riley hawk said that in the weekend buzz with slash

2. JD on said:

As a shop owner that does not currently do business with Nike SB, this makes it really hard to even consider carrying the brand because I have a Dicks Sporting Goods store in my city. My customers ask for the brand, but when they pile shoes on some of my friend’s shops in order to chase the “exclusive Dunks” (That sometimes don’t even sell!) it makes me feel really bummed towards how local shops have become slaves to the brand. In my experience traveling to many skateshops around the east coast, the sale shoe boxes in most shops consist of 75% Nike SB boxes. Clearly they make small shops over order to get two to three models that sell, leaving your shop owner with a mountain of debt and shoes to hustle in order to keep his doors open. I know the argument is that they make quality footwear, but with all the non-skaters that will begin to wear the Janoski’s and other pro shoes because of the accessibility I have a gut feeling that the sneaker community that purchased the shoe because of its “cool” factor will soon drop out leaving most shops struggling. I think its time to start supporting the smaller companies that have been here since day one for skateboarding (Yes, I know everyone wore Nikes in the early 90′s) like Lakai, Emerica, Dekline, Fallen, HUF, ect. These companies were started by skateboarders for skateboarders, and even though Nike SB hires many of our friends in the industry, the hire up CEO’s clearly do not give a fuck about the skateboarding community with these recent moves into mall stores. Thanks for hearing me out. – A poor but happy skateshop owner that doesn’t have to put up with all of this.

3. joejoe on said:

I moved back in 2010 to a town that’s no where close to skateshop. The only skateshop I’m close to is NJ, and yes I know the history of the NJ shops, but the shop I went to was full of complete assholes. I don’t care, I’m never going back there. I’m not supporting a shop that treats others like shit. That’s out of the question. So the only place I can get my boards and shoes was the mall and online. I know it’s not right to support mall shops (CCS mall stores before they all closed, fuck zumiez), but I had to go there to get my shit even though they were assholes too. I would get my clothes and shoes from Dick’s if I have too. It’s better than ordering online, and you most likely don’t have to deal with assholes because it’s a quick process, in and out. If I was close to my old skateshop that I used to go to I would support them till the day I die, but now it looks like Zumiez (fuck zumiez) or dick’s is my only option. I don’t know, I just pray to God that a skateshop pops up around here.

4. manos on said:

well, i ve heard that the nike sb will stop and it will be one with all the others as nike sportswear. something like that. and very shop with sports that have nothing to do with skateboarding will sell nike sb. janoskis and stuff like that. well fuck that. huf and adidas skateboarding are the shit!

5. Matt on said:

Visitng family I went to a Dick’s sporting store last spring. My neice needed a softball or something. I saw all major sports represented with apparel, running, baseball, golf, basketball, snowboarding, and others. I thought Nike and others would love to have skateboarding on display among the other sports. If that were to happen, forget about getting a good griptape job, forget about getting expertise advice on your set up, and forget about the commarderie a local skate shop gives. You’d be on your own, and you better bring your measuring tape unless you’re eye is so good you can tell at 8 inch deck and trucks.
    Here is NYC I apprecaite that Nike made the new LES park and might be making a new Rockaway park, but there business practices with shops is horrible and this shows, they ultimately rather deal with the super chains than the individiuals.

6. James on said:

this is definitely pretty lame but i for one am pretty tired of my area’s local skate shops being ran really shitty and never being open when their hours of operation say so. And when I do manage to get in they never have my size in shoe or board and always wait til they are literally out of all boards to order new ones. It’s shit like that that force me to have to go to places like zumiez to get shoes or boards because i know they’ll have my size. hate doing it. but i don’t like having to wait on the shop to order shit so i can skate. just my thoughts.

• Packy on said:

free market has winners and losers. if you’re a loser you lose. these shops run by stoners are losers.

• johann sebastian on said:

it is almost inconvinient to admit that james is correct: individual skate jobs run by stoners often have a inefficient and therefore barely customer freindly structure or business model. it is the same story over here in Germany, although we do only have one more or less corporate chain that sells skate stuff. anyways, unfortunately the big chains have more knowledge an skills in meeting the costemers requirements properly whereas the individuall shops have more knowledge about skateboarding itself. i guess most of the skaters do not seek for that much advice, since they already know a lot about skateboarding like most of the products and its features. so sometimes there are a couple of Stimuli to visit zumiez instead of a smaller shop. i bought my complete at zumiez as well when i studied abroad in the usa, because they had the best deal and were open during lunch time….

• Bob Gnarley on said:

Well you’re obviously not supporting them. Smaller skate shops can’t really afford to carry every shoe in every style and size. It’s usually small size runs. So maybe if you’re in there buying boards, shirts, etc… They could afford to buy more shoes. Everything you buy counts. That usually gets flipped into something for the shop. Yea sure online gives you choice and better variety. That’s because they order in volume. And get way better margins than skate shops. You might just have to switch it up on shoes. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten the shoe I actually wanted at a Skateshop. Usually have to get something else. And I’m always stoked. Yea most dudes working the counter at a Skateshop fucking suck! Douche bag no it all cool guy. I know well just talk to them about what you want. Become familiar with the shop. Go in often. The more you’re there the more likely the guy will loosen up. Most skateboarders are just nerds. We all are. We all read reviews and skate mags. Get into who’s on what team. Giant nerds. Just please support smaller shops. They actually matter. Without them you’re gonna get your sweet janoskis and your high tec deck in the mail and skate flat in your colda sack.

7. jackson on said:

I personally dont care if they go into the big shops, i.e dicks… I will still continue to buy them, because they are the best skate shoes ive ever worn.Vans wear out the second you put them on. I like to know that the shoes on my feet will protect them. If you dont like the company, dont rant about it. Nike makes the best quality shoes ive ever worn. And the people wearing converse, you are also wearing nikes. If you wanna look past all the big names like P. Rod, Janoski, Brian Anderson, there are tons of pros on nike who are legends but still arent in the limelight. Lance, Hewitt, Chet. All come and skate the origin of the skate shoe. Dunks and Blazers.

• KnowYourStuff on said:

..Hewitt got thrown from Nike because he said in an interview that he smokes weed..Sound’s like a legit company to me..

Also, you are forgetting that Nike actually promised that they would give back to the industry by ONLY stocking in Core shops..is Dicks a skater owned, core, skateboard shop to you?

Know your history before you makes comments telling people not to rant about companies they did not support. Stop telling people to shut up. We won’t ever shut up.

• James on said:

i realllly doubt he got kicked off for just that. Because we all know lewis marnell smoked and he was on until he died and all.

• johann sebastian on said:

i have do agree with james again. i also think that nike, as profit greedy as it might be (after all it is a public company so the damn shareholder value cannot be denied there) helps skateboarding to get more popular so that the turnover in the skateboard industrie is increasing which means that more people may benefit from it. i am also aware of the fact that a lot of people do not like skateboarding to be that popular with xgames and whatnot and they rather keep it small but that jsut leads to a fundamental debate…

8. Bob Magoo on said:

Even if you are sorry enough of a creature to support such a brand, shopping at Zumiez is such a poor excuse for an alternative to a skateshop- no matter what the reason. There are several skater-owned shops that have excellent online mailorder services, don’t leave them hanging.

• James on said:

i like ordering online too but not everyone has normal feet and i have to jump around between sizes to get the right fit and i don’t like to have to wait a month for a pair of shoes because i’m exchanging sizes every time i get a pair in.

9. Dudewhoknowsthings on said:

For how adamantly skateboarders proclaim that skateboarding is not a “sport” there sure does seem to be a whole lot of skaters who look like they they are wearing jerseys/uniforms and belonging to a “team” these days… I’m so sick of seeing these cookie cutter clones in their janoski’s, skinny jeans, nike sb tee and lets not forget the mandatory 5-panel hat tic-tac’ing at low speeds around the skatepark. *End rant*

• James on said:

Buy Servant footwear, high quality stitching and skateboarder owned .

• FTP on said:

Whoa don’t go bashing ALL people who dress like that. I’ve been wearing Janoskis, Kostons, blazers you name it, with skinny jeans and a Nike Sb tee for many years. I may not be the best at skating but its how I choose to dress. I have a deep respect and love for the sport which will never fade. All said and done, hearing how much it hurts skate shops really sucks. My friend owned a skate shop (which was owned and operated by his family and no one else) and he told me that Adidas wanted them to buy more Adidas than their entire shoe stock combined. When they refused, they were cut. Nike doesnt care about PR as much as you think they would. They have you hooked on a product and you will buy it where ever it most readily available for the best price. If the books are in the positive, they are happy. Support your local? Ha! What a false telling.

10. vic on said:

Supra Skytop 3 will easily annihilate the prod, janoski,koston and all the nike sb shit out there.

11. Flipper on said:

Pick Your King. The chain store or the skate shops.

12. Dee on said:

While I feel for those shops that have been tied into Nike SB accounts and been forced out of business with the shady business practices I can’t help but feel like the skateboard community is a whiny little bitch at times.

Think of all the litte coffee shops that are on the same street as a Starbucks. How have they managed to stay in business? Same with small bookstores near a Waterstones.

Sure some have closed down, but others have survived and even flourished in the face of a nameless mega corporation coming in and selling their shit.

I agree we should support skater owned stores and companies, but this is not Nikes fault. We brought them into the industry, we didn’t give pros enough shit when they stared riding for them (who can blame them, it’s not like skateboarding is a long and lucrative career for the majority).

If a skateshop offers more than the mall stores, skaters will go there. I walk an extra block to get my coffee because they say “hi Dan” when I walk in, it has a better atmosphere and they always suggest new stuff that they think I might like. They’ve also got great magazines to read, and will make the drink how you like it, and remember for next time.

Basically for a culture that is supposedly punk, we are all whiny little bitches

• Packy on said:

thank you!

it’s easier for people to pout about things that don’t really matter and blame “corporations” for all their problems. Most skaters are whiny little bitches, we’ve become too soft. The older folks should be yelling and screaming at kids at the parks when they act like kooks and don’t hesitate to properly regulate on the parents thinking skateparks are day cares. I have to pick up trash and teach kids to get the fuck outta the way everyday at the skatepark.

• johann sebastian on said:

i like your argument, dee. i am alos tired of people that blame those corporations all the time. but it is also a pain in the ass to buy a board at a “chain skate shop” and the sales person wouldnt even know who arto saari is. thats pretty much a negative connotaion even though your favorite board was available and the right time…

13. prophecy on said:

Sorry but what did you all expect????
    Nike used Skateboarding to get new won attention and image in a youth trend market…they used this core market to aid their overall image.
    There was never a chance in hell distribution was going to remain core. Either they open it up because it has potential for mass market sale or they kill it because it did its job and is now costing too much in marketing.

SB is being killed off anyway. And skate models will just have the swoosh. The same will happen to Nike Snowboarding too.
    If you expected anything different from a jogging and basketball company who spends more sponsoring one basketball star than it does on boardsports marketing in general then you are living in a dream world.

If you purchased nike as a store or a customer and are now moaning then you have only yourself fo blame. The only winner will only ever be Nike…

• johann sebastian on said:

dont agree. if the shoes look good (subjective), they fit well, skate well and are kind of durable and were also a good deal. then it is a win win, i guess. after all, nike is selling skate shoes and not toxic shares without value.

14. whatthesandwich on said:

Before Nike took out the Sb sign I was cool with Nike and use to buy their shoes but once I found out that they took it out I hated them and now going into big stores just shows us how nike dont care about local communities or skate shops just about increasing their own wallet so they can sell it at a very high price and make more profit. We need to go back to support our skate brands because unlike nike they will stay supporting skateboarding no matter what happens to it.

15. kh on said:

fuck nike. theyre not a skateboard company. I know every brand on the market does it for money, but what matters is what they give back. Nike, for me and my country, did nothing. I dont care about nike, and I will not support them. They should make good running shoes or shit like that, Im ok with it, but I dont like the fact they came to skateboarding industry just for money. Without these suckers, Id be still skating my favourite és shoes.

16. Packy on said:

i ride for a large surf/skate shop in Va Beach that’s been open since the 70s… I have to say, a lot of core skateshops shoot themselves in the foot because the kids working the counter are assholes. Obviously it’s not like that everywhere, Greenhouse Board Shop in Blacksburg, VA has real legit guys working there and so does the surf shop in Va Beach. But when I go to a skate shop there’s usually some asshole working there and I end up saying fuck you and leaving.

The culture will have to change. Honestly, skaters in the past wore vans, converse, and Nikes. The first signature shoe wasn’t until Cab’s shoe in 89 I think. Skater owned shoe brands aren’t really that old and aren’t that entrenched in skateboarding if you ask me, sorry. Early 90s when skating died we did it all on our own but you know what? I’m pretty sure a company with billions of dollars in R&D can make a better shoe than your favorite skater – the truth hurts.

Skating’s going to do two things: (1) grow more than you want and (2) become more regional. Just because some of us got here first and think we know how it should be and we somehow “own” a piece of skating and god forbid some fucking posers come along and milk our scene – get over it, that’s life, it happens in every facet of life, it doesn’t have to affect you. So yea skateboarding is now corporate and it’s growing beyond your little pretty picture of what it should be. Just because you started skating before 2001 (i started in 97) doesn’t mean you’re in charge of what happens in skating. If Lil Wayne wants to pay skaters to rep his shit and you didnt’ get the call for easy money, maybe you’re just not good enough.

So skating is getting corporate, boo fucking hoo. What’s gonna happen here is there’s gonna be a group that embraces the corporate and you’re gonna have Zumies and Dicks Sporting goods selling shit to CHILDREN. Regional brands are going to grow and become truly regional brands, they’ll focus on promoting their shit in their region, it’s already happening. Now the world won’t have to deal with spitfire and indy tattoos in every corner of the US (talk about embracing the status quo…).

Skate scenes are going to become more authentic and more localized, you don’t need a local shop necessarily to have a good skate scene, assholes will be fired from skateshops for being assholes and only the best, most skater focused local shops will win. Northern VA has a few local shops, I get all my shit online or from my shop in VA Beach because those are my homies. Online retail is destroying core shops whether it’s a core tile shop, a core flower shop or a core soccer shop. It is what it is, it doesn’t have to affect you, get off the internet and go build some shit to skate and quit bitching about other people’s success.

And if you work for a local shop quit being an asshole. Thanks.

• johann sebastian on said:

that pretty much sums it up. but i would still encourage everyone to exchange arguments. if someone hates nike for entering the skateboaring market due to make more profit, then it is his right an duty to complain. freedom of opinion and speech or so…

17. Larsen on said:

From the editorial: “We’ve learned that skate shops would be able to stick with the exclusivity of the elusive Nike Dunk”

That’s not exactly true. Any competent footwear buyer knows the truth here: There is a plethora of Nike SB colors and models that the likes of Pac Sun and Dick’s will not get. Yes, you will see some color of the Janoski at Dick’s, but there are some colors they aren’t allowed to have. It’s not good for skate shops when the distribution expands, but I can’t let the kids think the untruth that anything other than Dunks can be found at Dick’s. To state that would be a lie.

• Scotty on said:

Thanks for heralding the truth! Now kids know that Nike SB is legit because they give our real shops “exclusive colorways”.

But in all seriousness, the whole exclusive colorway jargon is crap. Those “exclusive colorways” are quite often overpriced… and seem mostly the fancy of sneakerheads rather than skateboarders. So the only pertinent matter is the fact that the entire offering of SB pro models are available at a giant sports retailer. Who cares if the giant retailers don’t get a few fancy colors. It doesn’t change the shittiness of the situation.

18. Pingback: Support Your Local….Dicks? | Homebase Skateshop | Bethlehem PA

19. Pingback: Nike SB Now Available at Dick's Sporting Goods | SneakerFiles

20. KAS on said:

!!! LAKAI ! End of Disscusion ..

21. Smorgasboard on said:

As much as Nike seems too corporate for skateboarding, I would say that its entry into the industry isn’t entirely surprising.

For years, skate shoe companies have been resting on their laurels in upping the ante of skate shoe manufacturing and distribution. You see companies like Vans that market themselves as core brands but never really stayed consistent in making quality shoes that look great, feel great, and last long (a quick browse through the comments sections of certain shoe types sold in its online store would showcase customer dissatisfaction regarding comfort and durability, with some pairs falling apart even if they weren’t used for skating). These shoe manufacturers don’t even regularly and properly maintain their skate shoe lines; they generally rely on their pretty dated catalogs though they have the capacity to produce updated and improved skate shoe products. When these companies do decide to make quality skate shoes, the pairs they produce and the stores that carry them are usually inaccessible; what if I need to get a great pair that I can use ASAP?

As much as it can be uncomfortable seeing mainstream companies peddling skate shoes, I do believe that it’s a necessary thing. Now, people can see skate shoe companies being challenged to make quality products. Also, more than ever, it’s now easier to find great pairs of skate shoes to wear, pairs that are worth every buck paid for them. It’s saddening that after the rise of Nike in the skateboarding industry, only then did skate shoe manufacturers care about producing great pairs for people to use considering that there is a market for such products in the first place (for example: no one made slim cupsole shoes with reinforced 1-piece toecaps and proper impact protection until Nike made them; most of the stuff out there are vulcs that ripped easily, oxfords, bloated basketball shoes, and mids). Also, people began to care about the state of skate shoe distribution only when Nike opened its doors to other stores who would care to carry their products when these shops could have carried other brands’ products in the first place. Then again, what store would want to carry pairs of shoes that ripped as soon as someone walked or skated in them?

22. jojo on said:

ridiculous, but there isn’t a skate shop within an hour of here…which is almost as ridiculous as dick’s.

23. T.A. on said:

We all saw this coming right? Is anybody truly surprised that Nike lied? Is this entirely unexpected? Nike bought legitimacy ten years ago through their team: Shimizu, Childress, Iannucci, Mulder, etc. And later they bought the cash cows: P-Rod, Koston, Kennedy, Malto, O’Neill, etc. They’ve supported some underdogs over the years – Lance, David Clark, Clark Hassler, Chet – but their intent was always to use that as a way in to the bigger names.

If you want to see skater owned and skater made companies, you already know who to support: Huf, Dekline, Fallen, Etnies, Emerica, Lakai, eS (RIP), Vox, etc. But if you buy the Skateboarding lines of Nike, Converse, Adidas, or New Balance, then you have no right nor place to mourn the death of the skater owned (eS, Adio RIP).

Money doesn’t have to come before integrity, even though it so often does.

Arguing that skaters wore Nikes and Converse and Reebok back-in-the-day does not make a case for there presence now. Footwear companies made by skateboarders for skateboarders (Emerica, Lakai, eS, Fallen, Etnies, etc.) may not have the bankroll that Nike, Converse, or Adidas do, but by the time those companies came in/back into skateboarding, skate shoe companies were more than up to snuff on style and technology. Skaters chose Nike and Adidas and Reeboks back in the day because the options were slim and underserving. When skateboarding died it became more important for skateboarders to support each other because nobody else had our backs. Everyone else that invested in skateboarding did not stick around once they started losing money. I don’t want my muffins from a box, I want them from a baker.

Nike is using skateboarding as a get-rich-quick-scheme, plain and simple. And they have never been our friends – they just infiltrated the camp very well.

24. jon on said:

i have been skating all my life and ive always been wearing and supporting nike sb and i dont like the direction they are going in but i never buy shoes if they are not from my local shop. i work at sports authority and they sell vans but i never see people upset about that and that has been going on for the longest