Respect the Past, but what about the Koston 1…?

What do you like better, The 1's or 2's?

What do you like better, The 1’s or 2’s?

Much like the G-code vs G6 article, the arrival of the Koston 2 has us wondering whether it’s better or worse than it’s predecessor. Like any other shoe from Nike, the branding, product and coordination of marketing are all on point and has everyone anticipating the Koston 2. For the most part, the majority of their catalog always seems to gather some type of following. There are kids who swear by the Blazers quality, others who will skate nothing but Dunks and of course, the unstoppable Janoski following that’s taken over since it’s debut in 2009. It’s safe to say that Nike’s product and branding are always in unison when it comes to developing a strong fanbase. Of course, this same formula is withheld within countless other brands but if you’re being honest with yourself, Nike is doing it the best. Everyone of their shoes seem to speak to a type of skater, whether you’re hesh, street, a rail chomper or a park dude.

Since the release of the Koston 1 back in June of 2011, it’s gathered a loyal following like any other model from Nike, the only difference being that the Koston 1 seems to have only been in the limelight for such a short period of time. Strictly as an observation and not fact, it appears as though other models from Nike seem to solidify themselves for a longer period of time before meeting their shelf-space demise. To better understand our point, think in terms of the Janoski. It’s been around since 2009 because it’s functional, durable and fashionable. That’s exactly why everyone loves it. The same, to an extent, could be said about the Koston 1. It’s definitely not everyone’s favorite shoe and by no means will it ever come close to being what the Janoski is, but was coming out with the Koston 2 suppose to help us forget about the Koston 1? Doubtful but the feeling does linger.

This is not to say that the Koston 1 will be going anywhere but it will feel strange finding both models on the same shelf. Choosing which Koston shoe will be a challenge for those looking for a cupsole from Nike but we’ll throw our opinion into the mix and hopefully it’ll help make the process a little easier for you.

After trying out both Koston 1 & 2, we’ve come to the conclusion that they’re completely different. It’s as though no heritage from the Koston 1 was taken to the Koston 2, and no, Lunarlon doesn’t count as a trait carryover considering it’s being used within the CONS program, making it not that special anymore.

Visually, you can only see some much. It's when we have with either on our feet is when we feel the difference. The Koston 2's may have a pointer toe but for some reason, that doesn't equate to a better flick for us. Koston 1's just feel right.

Visually, you can only see some much. It’s when we have with either on our feet is when we feel the difference. The Koston 2’s may have a pointer toe but for some reason, that doesn’t equate to a better flick for us. Koston 1’s just feel right.

So far, we’ve found that with the Koston 1’s you can find a better, more consistent and structured fit whereas with the Koston 2, the sidewalls tend to contort with the weight of your foot. For some, the ability to warp the Koston 2 so easily could mean better things for those consumers with wider feet but for others looking for continued support, we’d recommend the Koston 1 over it’s second coming. The 1’s feel sturdier and stronger in regards to structure. Another uphill battle that the Koston 2 will face is it’s not as aesthetically pleasing compared to the Koston 1. Aside from missing the accent point that the Koston 1 has on it’s outsole, the Koston 2 doesn’t have much to offer but a different colored swoosh. It many ways it’s good and bad. Although the 2 may not appeal to the general consumer because of it’s simple black-white exterior, it’ll probably attract the eyes of a genuine skateboarder looking for that black-white simple skate shoe. As stated before, the two pro models are completely different.

Whether we’re overanalyzing or not, we still find ourselves leaning more towards the Koston 1. Since skating the 2, even though it breaks-in after two days, we just couldn’t adjust to the shoes “loose” feeling but have spoken to people who have tried them and it seems as though opinions on this latest pro model vary on all levels. The most superior aspect of the Koston 2’s is it’s comfort but this probably relates all the way back to how easily the shoe breaks-in. We’ll continue to skate them and keep you guys in the loop about the 2’s progression and whether it grows on us any more.

Comments

1. chris

April 9, 2013 11:20pm

Does the souls from the koston2 wear down faster than the koston1 or does the koston2 have a more durable soul?

• RedSmolka

April 10, 2013 8:19pm

The Koston2 sure feels like it has a thicker insole and thusly a thicker outsole. I’ve only had the 2s for a few days now and have only lightly skated in them as my 1s are still holding up after a few months. Im going to assume that Nike has kept the compound that makes up the outsole the same if not better for the K2s.

2. RedSmolka

April 10, 2013 8:15pm

This has been my issue with Nike ever since the K1 came out, The shoe is absolutely great, but I feel a sense of betrayal when I see the LunarLon insole and the Koston 1 outsole get thrown onto so many unnecessary Nike models months after it’s initial release. I do feel the K2 is a good example of tweaking MOST things for the better to make that next great shoe, but it definitely was done a little hastily. That being said, the only reason I think that Nike hasn’t come out with Janoski 2 aside from money, is that they can’t. Something tells me that making a super slim, super minimalistic skate shoe that everyone and their mother loves, is pretty tough to sequel.

3. Aaron

April 11, 2013 6:51pm

Hey, I think the Koston 2’s are definitely aesthetically pleasing! More so than the ones, but that’s just my opinion. What’s up with that part about the black/white colorway? There’s already two others and more are coming…

4. the man

April 12, 2013 9:07am

Got the Koston 2 yeasterday, and to be honest. I dont know……

5. Moon

April 13, 2013 5:01am

I prefer 1s than 2s, with this second model idk… It’s kinda way too inspired in a golf shoe, not saying that’s bad, but I think 1s are a better shoe overall. 1’s are the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever skated in my life, I don’t think that I’ll buy 2’s considering that I really like 1s.

6. Tyler

April 14, 2013 4:49am

It seems like nike has stopped producing the sb blazer highs. And other companies seem to be cutting their vulc high tops out of their line up, because I’m almost positive converse has also shelved their cts mid.

7. Dane

April 15, 2013 11:55pm

How’s the sizing on the Koston 2? I wore a size 12 in the Koston 1, but sometimes wore an 11.5. I’d like to know if I need to adjust my sizing.

8. Ethan

April 16, 2013 3:40pm

I checked out a Koston 2 in a shop not too long ago.
    My thoughts:
    – Bottom heavy
    – Unattractively bulky considering that it’s upper looks as though it belongs on a slimmer silhouette.

That sole is a chunk, man. I appreciate the cupsole feel, and I’m sure it’s comfortable, but it just seems awkward. And it does when I see people skate it.
    The K1 had a good and clean design. I would probably love the 2 if they’d slimmed the sole and the upper by a little bit, or at least evened them out.

But Nike is Nike, and I’m just a dude commenting on a blog.

9. Ethan

April 18, 2013 1:35pm

I didn’t know that Nike had made the Koston 2 into an actual golf shoe.
    I just saw it on a website.
    Premium leather, and a different sole… makes all the difference.
    The Koston 2 looks super great as a golf/walking shoe, which is a bummer. I’d rather by the shoe made for skateboarding.

10. martynipples

April 19, 2013 6:59am

Nike sucks anyway, they’re both lame, over-priced, over-hyped peices of garbage that are helping kill real skate brands, koston, stop pandering to the hype-fruits and stop letting corporations have there way w/ skateboarding, its disgusting.

11. Benny

April 29, 2013 11:50am

The Koston 1s were amazing: easily my favourite shoe so far, and so so beautiful.
    The 2s on the other hand look like something inbetween Vans Authentics and Emerica Reynolds Cruisers; and more expensive to boot.

12. Chris

May 14, 2013 12:59pm

And here i thought we were talking about the es Koston 1 that shoe was amazing the new ones look so plain and almost like old school slipons

13. Tony

May 16, 2013 6:24am

In my opinion none of the Koston’s shoes have good color ways, wish they kept it more simple. Think they’d sell more if the swoosh on the black pair wasn’t gold , pink or green. White is simple and clean.

14. Andre

May 21, 2013 10:19pm

15. Andrew

June 7, 2013 6:09pm

How is the heel lock feature on the 2’s? Skating in the 1’s now and they feel great. Hoping the 2’s provide good support keeping your heel in place.

16. Steven D

June 20, 2013 2:10am

I like the e’S K1’s wayyyyyyy better. Or any of his e’S model shoes.

17. jep

August 9, 2013 3:40pm

Koston 1, no doubts. Light and grippy. You can skate it good right after you buy it.
    Put on, tune out, drop in.

18. Felipe

September 23, 2013 6:39pm

I bought a Nike Koston 2 online. Normally, I wear 10.5 or 11 US. In the Koston 2’s, I bought an 11US and this shoe is so narrow! I changed the insole and now it’s more comfortable. I am regretful to have bought this shoe. Never again.

19. Nick

July 17, 2014 7:06am

I bought some off a mate and felt dirty ever since. They skated great and wore really well, but are skinny and squeeze your feet. You also need to go up a half size. Ended up giving them to goodwill.

They do look like golf shoes though and it’s a fucking shame Koston is sucking corporate cock for the money nowadays.

20. allaner

November 24, 2014 5:57pm

What i cant get is why the rush with the koston 2’s?? i mean the 1st is a very good product, why rush? the nike janoski is still around, i mean i can compare the koston 1 to that and more durable as i am more inclined to wear cupsoles than vulc.

21. Humanoid

May 1, 2015 12:07am

I, for myself, thinks, all you’re grammar suck’s ^^