DIY: Properly Goo your Shoe

, masking tape,
a napkin or paper towel, ice & a sharp blade

Supplies: Shoes,
Shoe Goo
, masking tape,
a napkin or paper towel, ice & a sharp blade

We’ve all pathetically tried prolonging the death of our most beloved skates shoes. Whether you’ve used duct tape, cardboard, shoe goo or all three, the likelihood of the situation is that you did a great job in looking more like a bum with each skate session. The larger the hole, the more goo you use. If you don’t look like a bum, you’ll certainly look like you missed your paper towel while fapping it to the latest offerings from Lisa Ann.

Tearing and repairing skate shoes correctly is a conundrum that’s plagued skater’s for years now. And even though looking like a skater is a badge of honor we ourselves are willing to wear proudly, at the end of the day, it will not attract the opposite sex, unless you find yourself a “ramp tramp”.

Cosmetics aside, this badge of honor can also only last for so long. With all that wear, you’ll probably end up hurting yourself. It’s because of this reason that we’ve put together a step-by-step way to fix that nasty hole in your shoe, all while making your shoe look brand new.

Note: If you make your layer of shoe goo as thick as a dime, you can expect the goo to last for another 6-10 sessions, depending on how hard your shredding.

Work done by Adam Costa. For more of his DIY work, click the photo below.

SweaterCuff

Comments

1. Rick

February 25, 2013 1:30am

Good tutorial! What purpose does the ice serve besides for spreading? Couldn’t you use like a plastic knife to spread it?

• LakaiOrDie

March 1, 2013 10:53pm

Yurp… I thought I was the only one that did a good job on my shoe goo…

2. Adam

February 27, 2013 10:37pm

The goo would get stuck to the knife Rick.
    Keep in mind that Shoe Goo, is really just an adhesive, so if you use a plastc knife or a tongue depressor to spread it, its gonna get stuck to those too, and make a mess all over your shoe by leaving pucker marks or uneven spreading.

The ice cube works perfectly, because the goo can’t stick to it, yet it has a solid form that you can spread with, and theres no clean up.
    Just like some of the bullets they couldn’t find in JFK’s body.

3. mary hogers

February 28, 2013 11:24am

One interesting thing I tried with my shoe goo was re-doing portions of the bottom soles. I tried spreading thick layers on flat balded areas of the soles forefoot (mostly my shimmy-foot area), then trying to mimic the lines of what existing groove patterns I had or creating new ones. I tried to dry one layer before the other. As a result I felt that it performed slightly better (than balded soles at least) than what I had before. Although the goo really seems to burn out and peel quick (unless maybe you really try to apply overlapping layers day by day to allow drying time), I felt improved grip.
    They didn’t feel/perform exactly like brand new ones by any means (you might find it as a waste of time), but at least did something by the tiniest bit.

4. James

March 2, 2013 2:52am

Great instructions! you guys are killing it lately keep up the good work! thinking about doing a review of my huf Joey Peppers to submit for your guest review of the week thing you have going

• Ripped Laces

March 4, 2013 9:36pm

That’d be fucking sick. Keep us posted and let us know how they’re holding up.
      Thanks!

5. JD

March 5, 2013 3:31am

or…

1. Cut a piece of suede from an old pair of shoes that’ll cover the hole / area you tend to wear through
    2. Cover the cut piece of suede in shoo goo
    3. Remove inner soles from the holey shoes
    4. Attach the shoo goo’d side to the INSIDE of the holey shoes
    5. Reinsert innersoles and you’re good to go

The suede feels far more natural (and looks better) than shoe goo, which feels (and again, looks) pretty weird. It also makes canvas shoes practical to skate.

• Adam

April 3, 2013 8:40pm

I’ve recommended the suede patch method before, but after having skated a pair of shoes with it in place, I found that the doubled up suede felt too thick for my liking, and really hard to not get odd lumps that would put pressure points on my feet when applied on the inside.

To each their own, but I think when done properly, shoe goo looks fine and skates better than other adhesive alternatives.

6. db

March 5, 2013 6:48pm

Freesole, which is a product marketed to runners and tennis players, is so much better than Shoe Goo it’s ridiculous. It actually works for repair the sides of the shoes AND the soles, and doesn’t wear off in one session. The downsides are that it comes in little tubes that are more expensive than Shoe Goo, and you have to buy a separate bottle of liquid catalyst stuff to make it dry more quickly. Not sure why the company that makes it are basically ignoring the skateboard market.

See here:

• Adam

April 3, 2013 8:58pm

Its a false notion that materials that are more durable to scuffing result in a better skate shoe experience. The reason suede works so much better than hard leather, even though leather lasts longer, is specifically because of the softer properties of suede. Friction is key to grip, and in order to gain friction, you need materials that offer a lil more give and thus, are more prone to wearing down.
      Its just another wonderful example of “Skate and Destroy” proving its worth as a motto of inevitability.

So while Freesole sounds like an amazing product for sole and maybe even stitch repair, I don’t think I would trust anything that is MORE durable than shoegoo to cover any ollie holes unless I was also retiring the shoes to garden work or preparing to have them bronzed.

7. Marky Mark

August 30, 2013 11:20pm

I’ve always used superglue over shoe goo. A little superglue before you skate them makes the leather/stitching bulletproof, and looks alot cleaner than shoe goo. Plus a tube fits in your pocket and dries in seconds for fixes while you’re out skating. Put some on the corner of your laces and never rip em again. PS great page homies!

8. AJ

November 1, 2013 10:35am

how do slip ons skate? are they much thinner than era’s. Have you ever skated slip on pro’s?

9. todd

March 23, 2014 9:05pm

you could just make your own janoski premium se

10. Persona

November 20, 2017 12:19pm

Fuck, the article has been edited/removed? I did bookmark it back in the day, now came here to refresh my knowledge on properly removing/cutting out the toe cap, but the step-by-step guide is gone.