Additional info: New Balance Numeric Technology

Overview.Sorta

In this follow-up to our initial New Balance Numeric sneak peek, we’re going to be focusing and explaining some of the technical aspects behind their skate footwear. For those who have shown some acceptance of their arrival into skateboarding footwear, it’s fair to say that it’s probably because of an expected increase in performance that’s not being fulfilled by any other brands at the moment. If that’s your reasoning, it’s understandable. Skater’s destroy shoes and if we’re getting a better performance product then we should embrace it, right?

The morals on this topic continue to be divided but if we’re doing our job right as an authority of what will last, performance-wise , then we have no choice but to say that the New Balance Numeric line is probably going to be incredible. This premature claim is being based on some of the simple facts that we definitely know. Most of their models are being reinforced with the same exact materials and technology that’ve made New Balance the successful and recognized brand of today.

With an offering of 2 cupsoles and 2 vulcanized models, the NB# team made a smart and sensible move in providing just the bare minimum for skateboarders to pick from. Anyone looking for exceptional cushioning, breathability and support should find their needs met in the Logan 637 and the Stratford 479; both cupsoles models.

The Logan 637 will retail at $95 & will be in stores for Fall 2013.

The Logan 637 will retail at $95 & will be in stores for Fall 2013.

Logan.Outsole Stratford.Outsole
The Stratford will have a select colorway released in Sep '13. They're priced at $85.

The Stratford will have a select colorway released in Sep ’13. They’re priced at $85.

The use of TPU in the Logan and the Stratford is what essentially keeps us from doubting New Balance Numeric as a reliable performance skate brand. In bonding TPU materials into their footwear, durability will be drastically enhanced in the toe of each of these models. If you remember correctly, Nike and Adidas have also utilized this superior material so you can expect similar durability expectations from New Balance Numeric, regardless of whether you agree with their debut into skateboarding or not.

For those who happen to run recreationally, as well as skate, you’ll find the REVlite technology only in the Logan 637 cupsole. If you’re not familiar with REVlite technology, it’s a foam compound that has the same impact support and reaction as a bulky cupsole without all the weight. Runners have been using it for years to maintain composure while running and now this technology is being offered within the walls of the skate world. This move could be compared to when Nike started using Lunarlon technology in their skateboarding footwear. The only downside to all of this good news is that the REVlite will only be featured and used in 1 of the 4 models. The Logan 637 will have REVlite in it’s midsole to bounce back from any harsh impacts.

The Logan 637 and the Stratford 479 are unique and technical in their own respects, unfortunately we fail to see that same innovation in New Balance Numeric’s vulcanized models. Although there is only so much you can do with thin materials, we would’ve liked to see something a bit more developed or similar in their lengthy resume of historical models. Where they might’ve dropped the ball in design, we’re curious to see if it’ll be made up in the performance value of their vulc program. Both Brighton 344 and Quincy 254 are coming from a straight forward approach and we understand that. Each vulcanize model will have an offering of suede and canvas.

The vegan optional Brighton 344 will retail at $75

The vegan optional Brighton 344 will retail at $75

The Quincy 254 is the most simple and straightforward model in the NB# line, coincidentally making it the most affordable at $65.

We can’t say how long any of their footwear will last from wear but with all the information provided, you can only imagine that a review on NB# will go beyond our expectations. Also, as a runner, I’ve always used New Balance but as most of you have already vocalized, they have a lot of work to do in winning us over with the same clever marketing and performance values that they’ve utilized to gain their fan base of today.

27 thoughts on Additional info: New Balance Numeric Technology

1. Harm on said:

If we as a skate community would support skater owned, they would by able to fund research for this kind of improvements and we would be able keep industry in our own hands. Plus there is no originality in the design. They took some existing models put a N on the side and mode some slight differences.
    But would still like to see a review on of these shoes to see if these improvements really make a difference

• James on said:

Exactly the whole skate world needs to just boycott NB mags should just not run there ads, skaters just refuse to ride for them, then no one will buy them let NB waste there money just don’t buy it

2. moe on said:

so theyre biting the koston, and the janoski models, and the other model looks like something you would find in payless. wonderful.

• angel on said:

please explain how they copy the ideas of the koston and janoski?

3. Henry on said:

Who cares about breathability, they will be the ugliest skate shoes on the market! I won;t be buying any.

4. john on said:

yea fuck this.

5. Ian on said:

I’m down to try the Logan model when it releases. Before everyone goes hating on NB for being all corporate, let’s not forget that NB has been trying to hold their own– trying to still build Made in USA product– in an athletic shoe market dominated by Nike, Reebok, and Adidas. New Balance is founded on a family-run Boston heritage, and are using some of their classic design cues to tweak proven skate silhouettes. Can you bust on NB for having an “N” on the side of what looks like a Vans shoe? Sure you can. But then you should also bust on Lakai, DVS, DC, Etnies, Nike, Adidas, Huf, and Emerica for having their own versions of that same Vans shoe. Nike has brought us great skate shoes in the Koston 1, Dunk, Blazer, and Janoski. Adidas brought us the Busenitz and Campus Vulc. If New Balance can make a shoe that skates as well as any of those, than I will certainly try one out!

6. Jared on said:

I like to keep an open mind to new things. However, I was skeptical when I first heard about NB#. The improvements do sound impressive, but I believe skate companies should stay solely skater-run. If for no other reason than this: When large athletic corporations buy into skateboarding (Nike, Adidas, Converse, now New Balance) THEY ARE ONLY DOING SO TO MAKE MORE MONEY. They advertise big name pros, and pour money into these technological improvements because they see that that is what the skate community wants. NOT because they want to progress the sport. Put your money in companies created for skateboarding, not companies buying in.

7. Sally on said:

@Ian
    NB uses factories in China. Trust me! The U.S. is a design country not a manufacturing country, and big companies like NB cannot afford to manufacture their products in higher margin markets, like the U.S. That does not mean, however, that companies cannot control quality and even work ethics in foreign factories — they certainly can, and that is where many companies (not necessarily NB) don’t live up to expectations. I agree with not busting on NB and trying them out. If their shoe works well then that’s great.

@Jared
    Companies don’t go into business with the idea of restricting themselves. The goal of any business is to make money, and they all do what they can to achieve that goal; otherwise, they go out of business fast! That said, If NB can enter several markets and make great products in all of those, then I don’t see why you would be against that. There is nothing wrong with making great products and there is nothing wrong with diversifying if a business can do that. Advertising big-name pros and pouring money into technological improvements to satisfy the skate community helps the sport! How could you possibly be against that? You buy a product because it is great not because a company decides to restrict itself to one sport!

8. Ian on said:

@Sally
    NB do still produce footwear in the US (as well as England). While it is certainly not the majority of their line, and not cheap models at that, there are still shoes produced here. I own USA made 574′s, 993′s, and 996′s– all of which are significantly higher quality than their counterparts built overseas. The cost is too high for them to do it all here, but I support them for making an effort to do what they can. I am also in 100% agreement that companies should be looking to higher QC no matter where the factories are. HUF is one of the few that seems consistent with a slightly higher standard…

9. Pingback: New Balance Numeric Preview | FFBlogs

10. Jacob on said:

for any of you to sit there and rag on nb for putting there money towards a skateboarding line is stupid how many of you also hated on brands like nike addidas and converse then the moment the janoski busenitz or anderson model came out jumped on the band wagon. from what ive heard new balance actually approached black box distribution which is owned by jamie thomas so before it has even taken off there is backing from some of skateboarding greatest, and also saw photos of prod hanging with pj ladd and on pj’s feet was a pair of the logan 637s. all in all hate all you want but i think that new balance will do a great job joining the skateboarding market and i will find myself buying more of there shoes than i have nike addidas or converse

• angel on said:

exactly how i feel

11. Logan on said:

Her’s my grief with these things, I can buy a pair of Emerica’s (We’ll say G6′s since they’re my most recent purchase) for 65 bucks and be entirely content, my feet are happy, and looking down at that Emerica symbol brings me joy. $95 for a shoe seems like a crock of shit to me, and I know there are a lot of companies that do this (NIke and Supra both being guilty) and while I’m not saying I refuse to buy or try a pair of these, I refuse to buy a pair at that price, maybe after they’re on sale or something. This doesn’t go for all of us, and I’m not bashing on any type of skater, we all ride a board, and we’re all part of the same family, but some of us don’t have mom and dad buying shoes for us anymore, and swinging almost $100 on a pair of shoes that are gonna get thrashed, I just don’t see how this is logical for the average skater. Sure they offer lower priced models.. but look at them :/

• Ripped Laces on said:

G6′s are $85 though..

• Logan on said:

I got mine for 68 with shipping from skate warehouse, idk what the “msrp” is but I know I wouldn’t have paid 85 for them, especially not to skate them right of the box.

12. Alex on said:

Like many of you have said ill give them a try but what I want to know is when can I cop a pair of these ive had.alot of skate shoes in my time and paying a bit more for skate shoes often pays off I hope their cupsole models perform as id expect a cupsole to.

13. Al on said:

I think that this is cool. While i dont personally like the visual side of these shoes, im sure they will be good and i hope they go well. I think that alot of people are blinded by the notion of big companies entering skateboarding markets. When you analyze the situation (ie. nike) they bring alot of innovation to the table (TPU suede, certain types of cushoning etc) and help promote awareness of skateboarding and its homies as people are now more exposed to skateboarding, This has a series of trick down effects for people all over the world – more acceptance, skatecomps, skateshops, more skate facilities being built and all the rest of it that comes along with increase awareness! People will no longer look at us like we are vermin, but they will be like hey, this is pretty cool. So i think everyone should just embrace it for what it is, and be stoked that the big companies are in the market because it is inevitably going to benefit us in the long run.
    I would be interested to see what RL thinks about this.

14. dumb on said:

you people are idiots and obviously havent ever seen skate shoes..
    for 1 all skate shoes since day one have ripped off each other.

15. tom coffin on said:

hey ive been looking everywhere trying to find somebody in perth, western australia who sells these shoes. ive seached all over the internet too but i can find anything. can you help? thanks

• xavier on said:

Yer man I too and From Perth, let me know asappp where you can get them. I know beyond skate have just got a couple models in…

16. Skate4Life on said:

Honestly, I respect NB# because they are picking up some underground guys, some guys like PJ who are respected veterans without a shoe sponsor, and they know what they are doing, since they licensed their name to Black Box. So NB# has my support, and I will probably get a pair of Brighton’s because it looks like a clean shoe, and I know that supporting NB# more then any other shoe company (skate companies included, except maybe Powell and Bones) makes a quarter of their shoes here in the US, and it is custom made. They could make more money if they went overseas, but they work here in the US, to keep US jobs, and because they know it’s the right thing. NB# also has some sick looking shoes, and their team is really respected. So they have my support.

• Ripped Laces on said:

NB#’s shoes aren’t yet manufactured in the US. They’re working towards that but as an upstart brand, they need to produced their shoes overseas first to see if their skateboarding program will be successful.

17. dale on said:

Different companies, shoes, decks, wheels, and such, for all the different types of people and skaters out there. Rider owned, or not, all these companies wanna make money at the end of the day. I feel a lot of skate companies flaunt the idea of being true to skateboarding, but what brand you wear on your feet doesn’t make your a skateboarder. Skating makes you a skateboarder.
    The only difference shoes should make is comfort while riding, and durability to keep that comfort. NB has been doing footwear before there were even skate shoes, and I trust their opinion on what should go on my feet. NB, nike, adidas, converse all have solid reputations backing their footwear. Leave the shoes to the experts, and let the skate companies make skateboards (and clothes).
    To each his own, as long as we’re all skating, what brands you wear shouldn’t matter.

18. Pingback: Mama-in-Training: